Board index Photography Technical Questions Lenses from 35 mm to use on Canon T1i

Technical Questions

Lenses from 35 mm to use on Canon T1i

Discuss technical aspects of photography
kimmy316

Lenses from 35 mm to use on Canon T1i

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:57 pm

I just bought the new Canon T1i........must say I love it. I bought it w/ one 55 mm image stabilized lens.
I am using my 200 mm zoom lens from my 35 mm SLR Canon Rebel & it works great!!
I have a 100-300mm zoom lens (also 35 mm) that works on the film SLR camera. The brand is Sigma. This is a very nice lens.......however it won't work on the new T1i.
Anyone else run into this problem? Is it possible that it's Sigma brand in general? I have not tried it in manual mode yet but it's like it won't sync with it in automatic or the sports mode.
Any tips or suggestions would be helpful.
I am new to the group and I hope to learn quite a bit!
I have been photographing for over 9 yrs with various cameras but this is the first DSLR.
Thank you in advance.
Kimmy316

dougj

Re: Lenses from 35 mm to use on Canon T1i

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:10 am

Lenses have a chip (integrated circuit) inside that enables them to communicate with the camera body, the one in your lens probably doesn't recognize or know how to communicate with your new camera. In the past Sigma would re-chip some of their lenses, I don't know if they can or will still do this. I suggest you contact Sigma and ask, they'll need the lens and camera details. Good luck and welcome :D

kimmy316

Re: Lenses from 35 mm to use on Canon T1i

Post Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:24 am

thank you that makes sense.

Board index Photography Technical Questions Lenses from 35 mm to use on Canon T1i