Board index Photography Technical Questions EXIF

Technical Questions

EXIF

Discuss technical aspects of photography
raymoessner

EXIF

Post Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:40 pm

This has been bothering me for quite some time. Why is pBase EXIF of photos inaccurate?

hiero

Re: EXIF

Post Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:24 pm

Could you please explain a bit more what exactly is inaccurate, or give some examples?

Jeroen
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

mike_dunbar

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:18 am

Jeroen, are you a member of Pbase Admin?

I can certainly vouch for what Ray said. In most of my outdoor portraits I use fill flash. The Exif data accompanying these shots on Pbase invariably states Flash Used:No.

It must be very confusing for anyone trying to analyse these shots.

dougj

Post Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:34 am

The incorrect flash information has been a long-term problem. I've also noticed what appears to be mixup between exposure and flash exposure compensation recently. About a year ago PBase started a project to correct the EXIF, there are some old threads requesting information on the issues, what users wanted to see, etc. I haven't seen an update from PBase on this for a long time.

mike_dunbar

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:42 pm

And no response at all from any one at Pbase. What are we to Pbase? Are we just trash?

In order to obtain a reliable site and a responsive provider is there something more we have to do than pay our subscription

If they would tell us we'd at least be able to consider the proposition.

heez10

Post Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:10 pm

Only four replyes? Everything is well and I and thousands more are happy Pbasers! Pbase: keep up the great job!!!

waggonerphotos

Post Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:42 am

UBIDENMARK:

Regardless if Pbase Adm. chooses to ignore what appears in the forums, I believe they are providing a valuable service by presenting the work of some very good photographers, yourself included. Everything is not perfect but where else could one get this worldwide exposure at current rates. One thing is sure, we are part of a unique community and I seriously doubt that they consider us to be trash. They simply choose not to improve on what is already a good but somewhat antiquated site. :D
Bob Waggoner
Photographs comprise the communal memory of our times. (Unknown)

sthuman

Post Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:16 am

I believe the reason the EXIF for flash is saying you don't use flash when you did is because pbase parses the EXIF looking for the word "Yes" in the field for flash. If it doesn't see that word it defaults to "No". For instance, Nikon cameras say "Strobe fired, return light detected" in the EXIF field for flash. Some cameras say "Yes" and those properly say so in the pbase EXIF. The same is also the case for other fields of EXIF. Pbase looks for certain words or numbers and when it doesn't see what it thinks it should it either defaults to something or leaves it blank.

Board index Photography Technical Questions EXIF