Board index Equipment Film Cameras Just inherited a Rollei 35s. What film to use?

Film Cameras

Just inherited a Rollei 35s. What film to use?

miggity_maru

Just inherited a Rollei 35s. What film to use?

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:27 am

Hi. I'm new to this board and was wondering what type of film people would recommend for a Rollei 35s. I just inherited this beauty and am anxious to take it out for a spin. I'm interested in both color and black and white prints. Thanks!

wolfeye

Re: Just inherited a Rollei 35s. What film to use?

Post Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:51 pm

For color, Fuji Reala. For B&W, Fuji Acros. For low-light B&W, Kodak Tmax 400.

captain_superlekker

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:58 pm

Rollei 35 is dead cute and so portable.
You can use any 35mm film!
For Black and White, why not make it easy and use Ilford XP-2 - can be processed in any C-41 machine.
For colour, it depends what you like! I love the vintage colours of Kodak Portra.

prinothcat

Post Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:34 pm

captain_superlekker wrote:Rollei 35 is dead cute and so portable.
For Black and White, why not make it easy and use Ilford XP-2 - can be processed in any C-41 machine.

Be aware that when you use "any" C-41 machine you are at the mercy of the person who runs and maintains the machine..... I prefer to use a lab that does hand processing for B&W, it's not al that expensive and they will usually scan at a small up-charge.. I did make the mistake recently of not asking to have some Acros run separate from some Ilford HP4. They went together and the HP 4 ran to fast or to warm and came out with a prominent grain that he Acros did not have. Not a bad thing, but definitely noticeable. As for specific film stock? B&W has some much to offer. The Ilford Delta 100 and 400 is very good, Fuji's Neopan Acros and a fantastic iso 100 film. There is also an Agfa stock out there, name I can't come up with right now that I've had good results with. There are some interesting film stocks out of eastern Europe, but I have yet to shoot any. They're in the fridge waiting their turn. For color I can only comment on slide films, and I prefer Fuji Velvia 50. I send to a lab in San Diego CA the will develop and scan in one process, click the top link for more info. I also use Borg-Anderson out of Salt Lake City UT.

captain_superlekker

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:21 pm

Yep, you are right.

I mean a decent and well-maintained C-41 machine at a reputable printer's.

prinothcat

Post Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:37 pm

captain_superlekker wrote:Yep, you are right. I mean a decent and well-maintained C-41 machine at a reputable printer's.

I have seen more badly blown rolls from the "local 1 hour" place than I ever imagined existed.... Then one looks at the people doing the work....
the truly sad part is people just accept it.

tsienni

Post Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:38 am

is it with a Sonnar f 2.8 / 40 mm lens? such a great compact.

yeah, i agree with others, try one type of the film and see if you personally like the result of your final prints. choose ISO according to the lightening condition, hum, I can't think of other considerations...anyway, it's not complicated as it seems.

have fun!

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Just inherited a Rollei 35s. What film to use?