Board index Equipment Film Cameras Help!!

Film Cameras

Help!!

ike1hk

Help!!

Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:08 am

I want to know if i buy a second-hand SLR film camera what are the important things I must to check?
and Is Canon AE-1 Program a good model?

thanks

prinothcat

Re: Help!!

Post Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:22 am

The eighties Canons are good solid cameras. You'll have to use FD series lenses with them, since nothing modern from Canon works with them. Nikon Fm's and F-3's are also great bargains. They have the up side of being at least partially compatible with newer Nikon lenses. Also most older Nikon lenses will work on modern Nikon bodies. With older Canons the A series in general, check the shutter actuation, some of them developed a nasty squeal that may or may not have affected the accuracy of the shutter release. You may also want to make sure you can get the proper batteries for them. I believe in the case of the Canon A-1's, the batteries are hard to come by. Lastly be sure you trust the seller.
Best of luck Chris

wolfeye

Post Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 am

The AE-1 and A-1 and all the "A" series are great cameras. The shutter "squeal" does not affect anything in and of itself. It is caused by aging of the lubricant used to keep the shutter running smoothly. The lubricant dries up and then the squealing begins. If you take it in for service that's all they do to fix it. Add new oil.

They all take the commonly available 6V PX28A (Duracell 28L) battery.

The AE-1 Program is simple to use. Put the shutter speed dial on "Program" and set the lens to the "A" position. Set the film's ASA speed. Load film. Focus and shoot. The viewfinder of the camera shows you all the info you need.

ike1hk

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:11 am

thanks for the advices
final I found a reasonable prices Canon A-1
but still have some buttons don't know how to use it
This is my A-1

prinothcat

Post Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:19 am

I still have mine, If you PM me with questions I can see what I can recall...

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Help!!