Board index Photography Technical Questions lens problem

Technical Questions

lens problem

Discuss technical aspects of photography
busscher

lens problem

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:26 pm

I bought the canon 5D mark II today and when I put my sigma 17-70mm lens on it I got this.

Is this normal those black edges or is it the lens or camera?
I want to buy the canon 16-35mm lens but will I have the same problem with the edges?
Why don't you take a picture? it'll last longer!

prinothcat

Re: lens problem

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:24 pm

Looks like a DX lens on an FX body.... Is the Sigma "a Digital Lens?" Yep I see your new 5d, based on Canons website is full frame or FX and the Sigma is cropped, or DX for small digital sensors. 1.5x in the case of Canon I believe.

busscher

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:31 pm

prinothcat wrote:Looks like a DX lens on an FX body.... Is the Sigma "a Digital Lens?" Yep I see your new 5d, based on Canons website is full frame or FX and the Sigma is cropped, or DX for small digital sensors. 1.5x in the case of Canon I believe.

Thx for your reply, time for me to buy a new lens than :)

prinothcat

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:05 pm

double post... with spelling errors...
Last edited by prinothcat on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prinothcat

Post Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:06 pm

but of course. Pleased to assist. There is a technical term for the black fringing that one gets in this situation and some others. It's referred to as vignetting and is sometimes desirable. Fisheye lenses will do it, and it's common in old photos.

busscher

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:29 am

prinothcat wrote:but of course. Pleased to assist. There is a technical term for the black fringing that one gets in this situation and some others. It's referred to as vignetting and is sometimes desirable. Fisheye lenses will do it, and it's common in old photos.

One more Q, will I have the same problem if I buy the canon 16-35mm F2.8 mark II?

prinothcat

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:33 pm

I don't know specifically about individual Canon lenses. You want to make sure you are buying lenses that have full frame coverage. Generally if it says Digital any where on it, look twice, it's probably a small sensor lens. A good check, is if the lens will work for a 35mm film camera it will cover the FX sensor. IN general you need to be sure in the wide angle/short focal length end of the market, as once you get to telephotos and zooms they are all full frame. Easiest solution, before you buy make sure you ask if the lens in question will work properly with the 5D. If ordering only, I have noticed that Adorama and B&H will add a comment that DX lenses do not work on FX or 35mm to the listing.

dougj

Post Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:47 pm

As prinothcat pointed out, check with the manufacturer to ensure lenses will work properly on FF as some will not. Canon lenses with an EF prefix will work on all of the bodies including full frame, those with an EF-S prefix will only work on the 1.6 crop sensor bodies (except the 10D). The Canon EF 16-35mm is designed for full frame, so you'll be OK.

Board index Photography Technical Questions lens problem