Board index PBase Show and Tell 133rd Show & Tell Competition: Nature's Gems - WINNER

Show and Tell

133rd Show & Tell Competition: Nature's Gems - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
cat_leya

133rd Show & Tell Competition: Nature's Gems - WINNER

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:49 pm

This was so hard! On the upside, it gave me the chance to view some wonderful galleries I probably wouldn’t have found on my own. The downside is being a “judge”. I apologize in advance because there are some spectacular images entered that aren’t posted below. Rather than spending many hours (which I did anyway) trying to choose and rank the best of the best from many equally beautiful and technically awesome images (a task I’m sure I’m not qualified for), I‘ll focus on images that best fit the spirit of the contest in that they are something not often seen or photos that present the subject in a unexpected or unusual way.

It was nearly an impossible task for me to choose just a handful of these “gems,” but a few that I’d like to mention (in no particular order):

I love the deep color against the black background

this seems other-worldly, just sparkles

I always think of hummers as “nature’s gems” & I wanted to go a little past the expected for this contest, but besides being an excellent photo, that little “fluff” is so appealing

never thought a spider could be so appealing and “gemlike”, & the water drops take it a step further

I do wish this creature were more colorful & stood out from it’s background a bit more, but how awesome to capture that pose. Hysterical!

I’ve always ignored these ugly birds. Who new they had such beautiful eyes! I’ll be stalking them now

the softness and color contrast so nicely with the rigid underside of the mushroom. This treatment really elevates it from the ordinary

sometimes “gem”s look best in black & white

and the winners:

4th place:

the dramatic way this photo is composed makes this look like a gem. It just glows. I have to know – what is it?!

3rd place:

love the abstract quality of this & the way the droplets magnify the texture of the leaf

2nd place:

love the dreamy ethereal effect, the softness and beautiful color. You feel it’s organic without knowing exactly what it is (unless you go to Mary’s gallery where my favorite of her images resides). For me it definitely portrays that sense of mystery.

And first place:

great detail in the grasshopper & love the contrast against the pink ground. It’s so much stronger shot this way than in it’s natural habitat. Congratulation Maaike – you get the pleasure of the next contest!

Thanks to everyone who entered. I really enjoyed looking at your galleries.

cat_leya

Re: 133rd Show & Tell Competition: Nature's Gems - WINNER

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:07 pm

So sorry it took me so long to get the winners up. I had a difficult time getting all the images to load up. congratulations everyone! :) Sharon

photomary

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:25 pm

Hey thanks Sharon for the 2nd place! Really a tough one to judge, for sure. Look forward to the next topic. Mary

nickviv

Post Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:33 pm

I was hoping ud like my interpretation of gem as a droplet... and you did.
:D
Thanks for the 3rd place... appreciated.

emmelafoto

Post Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:17 am

Wow, thank you!!!!!
I didn't expect this at all.
I will think about the next theme and let you know.
One problem: I'll be on holiday from Sep. 28th untill Oct 11th.
Well it has to be a short period than.
Maaike

gilbert_j_y

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:09 am

Thanks ...for the fourth place..its a start for me...
and by the way the picture was resin/amber from a plum tree..with sunlight as backlite...
Thanks again everyone

rsub8

Post Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:33 am

Sharon, thanks for the mention. Nice choices for the winners. Rob

Board index PBase Show and Tell 133rd Show & Tell Competition: Nature's Gems - WINNER