Board index PBase Show and Tell 140th Show & Tell Competition: Frame within a frame - WINNER

Show and Tell

140th Show & Tell Competition: Frame within a frame - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
billinchapelhill

140th Show & Tell Competition: Frame within a frame - WINNER

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Thanks to all entrants. Almost all entries incorporated some recognizable frame within a frame composition. My criteria for judging follows: Was the frame interesting; does the frame make the subject and composition standout and how creative was the frame use.

Honorable mentions

The framed subject is strong and the conventional porch frame adds depth and scale and really makes you wish you could sit on this porch for the view. This image perfectly demonstrates the frame within frame technique.

The frame is standout with great light and color. The tall ship subject is cut off too much at the top of the frame and the background is too busy. Not much the shooter could do to improve either condition.

Well framed, with wonderful light and color on the frame and the subject. Another fine instructional example of frame within a frame.

The lighting is dramatic on the light painted frame and subject. The frame is just a bit too out of focus for my eye. High points for creativity.

Winners
Third tied

A dominant frame with essential facial features coming through the frame holes

Third tied

A powerful framed subject emerging from the bridge frame shot by a skilled and very patient photographer. This is a great shot but the frame is just too subtle for the competition theme.

Second

Memorable double frame shot with double subjects under different light: Most creative entry for my taste. I hope the actual resolution would allow this one to be printed out large.

First

A most difficult shot to compose with compelling subjects. The vertical frames stand out dramatically with the radiating light rays and edge backlighting. A special decisive moment shot. All 3 of Peter’s shots submitted are strong examples of frame within a frame. This is my winner.

bclaypole

Re: 140th Show & Tell Competition: Frame within a frame - WINNER

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:14 pm

Well judged competition. Including constructive comments in your selections IMHO was a nice touch that hopefully, will make me ask those important questions during composition.
Congrats to Peter!

pstubley

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:32 pm

Wow! Thanks, Bill. I don't envy you your choice, given the images that were posted, but I guess it's my turn to find out!

Thanks again, Bill, excellent selections and great comments about each image. You've set the bar high for me to follow up for. The good news is that I think I have a topic already, which I've had for a while, telling myself "If I ever win, I'll do...." I'll post that later today.

Peter

impalass

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks for the mention and the comments, It mush have been hard to judge for sure.
A big congrates to the winners and all that entered......Looking forward to next one Peter.

gpmerfeld

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:01 pm

Thanks for the third place tie nod, Bill. Much appreciated, as is your hard work in judging and posting the contest results, with all of the technical difficulties. Great job.

sandiwhi

Post Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:32 pm

Congrats Peter... and to all the winners. I didn't envy you the job of choosing a winner Bill, but ya done good. Some great picks out of a tough competition.

gillk

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:56 am

Well done Peter - what a "cool" picture - and congrats to the other winners. A fun competition.
Gill

terrybowker

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:31 am

Congratulations Peter! Congratulations to Bill for a wonderful contest! Great entries!!!

Cheers,

Terry

tsienni

Post Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi Bill, it's kind of you to leave me a note on my photo to notify, thanks for the pick and your topic.

Congrats to Peter for his winning image with such a dramatic subject and light. Well done, everyone.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 140th Show & Tell Competition: Frame within a frame - WINNER