Board index PBase Show and Tell Winner: 146th Show & Tell Competition: Scale

Show and Tell

Winner: 146th Show & Tell Competition: Scale

Announce and discuss your photos.
chasp

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:52 pm

Well, this wasn't easy, not that I thought it would be. The "scale" of talent on these boards is imposing at all levels. but in any case, here are my choices.

Honorable Mentions

carol202
There is an strong sense of "underworld" in this image. Not sure I would be all that comfortable walking here. Glad Carol did it for me.

m_hauss
You really have to click on the original size to catch the scale in this one. Wow.

fishit
This image is more about the scale of what the words represent to the individual than the actual scale of the engraving to the person. A very deep image.

hardcoreboy
Such a soft image for a hardcore screen name. The human scale....is there really anything else that touches us so deeply?

sandiwhi
One of the better shots of "The Valley" I have seen.

Third Place: christophertravels
There is no beginning or end of the water in this image. You're not sure that the canoe isn't actually floating in the air. It gave me two senses; 1) Strong serenity in sharing something with a friend, and 2) Wanting to be there myself.

Second Place: Monkeypainter
This photo jumped out at me as soon as I saw it, for it shows not only a difference in physical scale, but more importantly, how we effect our own scale, and how the way we live can actually diminish us. It is an image that really makes you think deep, and for that reason, it deserves to be one of the top winners

First Place: hiero

Perseverance pays off! This image almost won in a past contest, but takes this one hands down. I think the only way you could better convey scale would be to have a person floating in space. The grandeur of the entire scene, when compared to that lonely individual, says it all. A winner at all levels.

Conrgratulations to all for such a fine set of worthwhile entries, and thanks for the honor of hosting and judging these fine entries. And now hiero, it's your turn. :D

jlben

Re: Winner: 146th Show & Tell Competition: Scale

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:25 pm

Great selection and congrats to Jeroen :wink:

happypoppeye

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 pm

Great picks. Looking through the entries, this couldn't have been easy to judge.
Congrats to all.

Also, a word of note ...could one of the winners start adding the winners links to the list before it gets "out of control". Seems Pbase's "control" system isn't working, so it's up to the members to "control" it until pbase gets it back up and running.

If not ...you can just pick me as a winner in the next few competitions and I will do it!!! :shock:

Great competition. Great entries. Great judging!!!
Congrats to all.
John

terrybowker

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:43 pm

Congratulations to Jeroen and all of the other winners! Great Contest Chasp! Looking forward to the next one.

Cheers,

Terry

sandiwhi

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Thanks for the honorable mention! Great choice for the winner. I was torn between your pick and the powerful words of LIncoln. Like the symbolism too... not only the size of the words, but the size of their meaning.

Regarding keeping the list of winners updated, that seemed to run more smoothly when the list of winners was included in the contest posting, not in a separate location, where it's easy to forget about it. I'd like to see them back in the contest post. Just one person's opinion. :)))

Sandi

gillk

Post Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:39 pm

Congratulations to all the winners, especially to Jeroen - what an amazing shot !
Gill

fishit

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:04 am

Good Contest Chasp, thanks for the nod it is appreciated.
I am sure it was hard to chose, there were so many good entries, congrats to all.

hardcoreboy

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:54 am

Thanks for the honorable mention. I really appreciate it.

Congratulations to the winner! That was such an awesome image!

carol202

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:28 am

Thanks for the honorable. You described exactly what I was trying to capture when you said the photo had an underworld look to it. The Titus Tunnel was carved by Jewish slaves, and many of them died in the process. So it is an eerie feeling to hike through it.

hiero

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:51 am

Hi Charlie,

thanks so much for the first place, I'm honoured. Also thanks for hosting this one, loved to see the various interpretations of the scale concept. Give me a day to come up with a subject for S&T competition 147.

Cheers all,

Jeroen
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

m_hauss

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi Charlie,

thank you very much for the honorable mention (much appreciated) and congratulations to a great contest and a great choice of winners. Your first and second place are exactly what I would have chosen for first and second place.

And, of course, congratulations to the winners. The prices are certainly well-deserved.

monkeypainter

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:18 pm

I got the silver medal! Feel very honoured...Thank you very much!

Just to inform you... it's a Kodachrome slide shot with a 50 years old Leica M2... And still today it performs quite good against all these digital marvels!!!
Last edited by monkeypainter on Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

chasp

Post Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Monkeypainter,
Great to hear that some "traditionalists" are still holding true to the origins of our craft. Congrats on the selection. It jumped at me as soon as I saw it.

Charlie

christophertravels

Post Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:49 am

Thank-you for the third place. This photo was one of my first with a digital camera, back in 2003.

stuartjr

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:41 am

Any chance of a 147th Show & Tell soon please?

:D
"The World is a book .... those who do not travel read only one page"
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70G f2.8

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell Winner: 146th Show & Tell Competition: Scale