Board index PBase Show and Tell 148th Show & Tell Competition: The Heavens Above - WINNER

Show and Tell

148th Show & Tell Competition: The Heavens Above - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
pajamacat

148th Show & Tell Competition: The Heavens Above - WINNER

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:18 am

I'm sorry if I misled anyone in this contest. I was a bit confused about the new automated process. It seemed to have locked the contest by 8:00 pm EST. I'm also sorry if anyone was confused by the topic. I picked nighttime because of some night shots I took of the space station last fall up in Lake Placid, New York and became obsessed as all artists should! Many people posted pictures that were taken during the day (I think) that were quite mind blowing!! I realize things get lost with translations so the least I can do is critique some of the "daytime" pictures. First the "daytimers"

I love the starkness and raw beauty of this shot. I advise taking a peek at Alain Lestrade galleries as his work is thrilling and unique.

Jocelyn Bodiguel's work is also unique. There is something that intrigues me about the stripes against the sun on the horizon.

The thin sliver of skyline is what makes this beautiful contrail shot of Vivek SenGupta. Good work!

OK. On to the Night shots!

Honorable mentions

I love the depth this photo has. The way the moon lights the clouds almost makes it look 3d. Good work Stuart JR!!

Please zoom in to the original to see the constellation Orion on the left. Very moody and muted. Great airplane shot Terry Bowker! Keep up the good work.

Third place

Beautiful color! Some of the best shots are opposite the sun right after it sets. Nice S curve and composition. I believe the pink and lavender on the horizon is called the "Belt of Venus" caused by the shadow of the earth. Congrats to Carol 202 whereever you are.

Second place

An amazingly simple but powerful BW. A really stunning shot. Hats off to Brad Claypole!!

And finally. Last but not least our first place winner

This picture is a 5 second exposure at 1600 ISO!! The lighting, compostion and imagination are top notch! Please go to the original to see the subtle shadings and the wonderful placement of the lighthouse in the middle of the window frame. Reminds me of Edward Hopper. A elegant piece of Art!! Bravo to J Rayner from Hertfordshire England! Looks like it's up to you to host the next contest.

bclaypole

Re: 148th Show & Tell Competition: The Heavens Above - WINNER

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:59 am

Thanks for the second place and my hats off to J Rayner!

viveksg

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:32 am

Thanks for the "daytimer" critique, and congrats to the winner!

gillk

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:35 am

Congrats to J Rayner, Brad and Carol - and other HM's - great competition !
Gill

terrybowker

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Congrats to J Rayner! Thanks for the mention.

Terry

alain_lestrade

Post Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:20 pm

Congratulation to the winner (and to all the participants), good work! Thank you William, for your kind comment.

cuasap. :D

fishit

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:00 am

Good choices and congrats to all the winners. I thought you wanted night shots.
End result was/is some nice photographs and as mentioned you chose well.

stuartjr

Post Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:19 am

Thank you very much for the honourable mention and congrats the the winner! :D
"The World is a book .... those who do not travel read only one page"
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70G f2.8

ifusec

Post Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:37 pm

Thank you for your comment, and congratulations to J rayner and all participants !

carol202

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:55 am

From Carol202 in Florida: congrats to J Rayner and all the other "almost winnners". I'm very grateful for the third place, my highest yet in this forum. I value every bit of feedback I get from PBASE, especially when it's positive!

Board index PBase Show and Tell 148th Show & Tell Competition: The Heavens Above - WINNER