Board index PBase Show and Tell 157th Show & Tell Competition: The Background Matters - WINN

Show and Tell

157th Show & Tell Competition: The Background Matters - WINN

Announce and discuss your photos.
gpmerfeld

157th Show & Tell Competition: The Background Matters - WINN

Post Fri May 14, 2010 9:28 pm

OK, Here we go...

Man, this was a real tough one to judge. So many great images, so many beautiful shots. So I had to be a bit of a stickler as to my interpretation of the theme, and I still came up with 10 Honorable mentions, and 5 Place Winners! If you are not mentioned, it is only a matter of narrowing it down, and not a judgement on your work. This especially goes for people like Rindra, Sandiwhi, and Tinkettle, who submitted such beautiful images.

So here are the Honorable Mentions, in no particular order. All were great examples of the theme, unique, sometimes fun, and all special in their own way:

Big smile here, and outstanding rendering:

Poignant image, beautiful tones, strong message:

Extreme, surreal beauty:

Wonderful! Just wouldn't work without Marilyn:

Great eye here, for a great story:

Perfect use of the BG for a real chuckle!

All three of Clasp's were excellent. This one is so fun and so vibrant:

So many great layers to this, with such beautiful tones. An extraordinary image:

Really makes you wonder what will happen next. Great catch!

Finally, I just could not resist this one, which brought a big smile to my warped imagination, as I cannot help seeing a mountain of dung behind that crazy cow!

And now to the Top Five. Each of these photographers submitted multiple shots that perfectly fit the theme, in my eye, and that is why I did not select them for HM. These images are all winners, with great, imaginative, story-telling use of the BG in their work. Congrats to each of you for all of your images. But I have to choose, so here goes:

5th Place: Bartosz Kotulski
Such a moving story to this image of the little girl, really brought out by her dwelling in the BG. Your Stream image is also perfect, in a more serenely beautiful way...

4th PLace: Pstubley
Fantastic collection of shots, with the most unique spin on bringing the background into the foreground! Really great work. I chose this one particularily for the way the the rear flower mimics the flow of the foreground beautifully, and then sharpens right up in that drop of water. Extraordinary!

3rd Place: Monkeypainter
Perfect! What a great and perfectly timed shot! The big sense of humor here is matched only by the poignancy of your Sylvester shot, which is a powerful piece of storytelling...

2nd Place: Terry Bowker
Man, all three of your images qualify for top spot for this theme in my book. Three different images, each telling a great story, due to the power of the BG elements. What can I say, this Taj shot is magnificent!

1st Place: Clyne
Here again, any one of your images could take the top spot for this competition. Your illegal skateboarder shot is a total classic, and your Indian street scene a perfect slice of life. In the end, it is the emotional power and the special background twist of "The Ubiquitous Postcard Seller" that makes it my choice. That perfect dichotomy of the background belying the subject, the little girl selling beautiful postcards of her land, while the reality of military presence, perhaps war, hover so closely behind her. Extraordinary work.

Congratulations, Clyne! I pass the baton to you...

And thanks to all of you for submitting truly wonderful images. It was difficult to judge, but a real pleasure to view all of your work...

Aloha,
GP

pstubley

Re: 157th Show & Tell Competition: The Background Matters - WINN

Post Fri May 14, 2010 10:26 pm

Excellent choices from a lot of tough competition. Thanks for the 4th place and the very nice comments.

Peter

brett1963

Post Sat May 15, 2010 12:39 am

Thanks GP for the honorable mention, and congrats to the winners.

chasp

Post Sat May 15, 2010 2:58 am

GP, Thanks for the honorable mention, and for a really great theme. All of the images were exceptional.

Chasp

fishit

Post Sat May 15, 2010 3:35 am

Mahalo for the kind words friend.
You made some very good choices in a large group of outstanding pictures.
Congrats to the winners!

terrybowker

Post Sat May 15, 2010 9:19 am

Congratulations to Clyne! Great contest GP! Wonderful entries!!! Thanks for 2nd place!

clyne

Post Sat May 15, 2010 3:56 pm

Wow - thanks! New competition topic will be announced shortly.
Cheers, Stuart

cocameli

Post Sat May 15, 2010 11:50 pm

Good job...and it wasn't easy!

gillk

Post Sun May 16, 2010 12:39 am

Congratulations GP for your great choices - and to Clyne for winning - nice topic.
Gill

impalass

Post Sun May 16, 2010 3:59 am

Thanks for the HM...and congrats to all this winners and your fantastic comments......

Mike

monkeypainter

Post Sun May 16, 2010 8:51 am

I got the bronze medal!

Thanx, and congrats to the winner!

agroni

Post Sun May 16, 2010 10:21 am

great choice!!!
congrat to the winner

hiero

Post Sun May 16, 2010 11:34 am

Thanks for the HM and for hosting this interesting edition. Conmgrats to the winners!

Jeroen
Jeroen Bosman, glad to be on Pbase
http://www.pbase.com/hiero

Board index PBase Show and Tell 157th Show & Tell Competition: The Background Matters - WINN