Board index PBase Show and Tell 163rd Show & Tell Competition: Isolated Subjects - WINNER

Show and Tell

163rd Show & Tell Competition: Isolated Subjects - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
drr1531

163rd Show & Tell Competition: Isolated Subjects - WINNER

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:21 am

This was my first time doing this, so for future winners, let me warn you, it's not easy. Thanks to everyone who submitted photos. Some really wonderful images and I enjoyed looking at them all as well as visiting many galleries of the entrants. Some really great work out there. As time goes by I become more and more convinced that professional photography is as much about marketing skills as talent. Visiting PBase galleries is proof that there are a lot of talented photographers who happen to do other things for a living :D

In the entry thread I stated the criteria for the judging.

1) how successfully the isolation was achieved: The primary thing was that eye grabbing quality which had to captivate attention. This could be achieved either by filling the rest of the frame with "dead space" or any other means. Some very creative means of accomplishing this were submitted.
2) creativity: There were no preconceived ideas for this. Some submissions, including the winner, achieved a sense of isolation as well as visual isolation.
3) technical image quality: This is a photography contest so technical quality must be a consideration. Not the primary issue, but really poor technical execution could be a significant detractor whereas excellent technical aspects can separate an image from the rest of the crowd. There were several images which I liked for subject matter but were poorly executed form a technical standpoint to such a degree that they fell out of contention.

Runners up in no particular order were as follow:

This picture of the Queen of England by Daniel McCarey. Great visual isolation plus the symbolic isolation behind the guards. A slight tilt of the head before triggering the shutter and this one would have been a real winner IMO. But the slightly obscured primary subject is a technical detractor.

Nope by Dennis Camp. I'm typically not a fan of this technique, but the spot of color effectively drew my attention to the guy's face who is also the only person looking straight at the camera.

Relax I[b] by Matthias Hauss. I don't usually like B/W but this one was surprisingly interesting to me.

Third place: This untitled image by Eric Dutordoir. Captivating subject and well executed.

Second Place: [b]Dual Tone
by Dennis Camp. This image was IMO the best technical execution. Also relative to the examples in the original thread, it fit my ideas going into the competition of what I was looking for. The first place winner simply elicited more feeling.

And the Winner is: No Friends by chasp. Personally I don't do people nor B/W. So I was really suprised how much I like this image. The creativity put this one over the top for me. Taken from behind so we don't get to see the childs face (after all if he's smiling it would ruin the effect). The barrier provided by the fence and the child's grip on the links. Whether intended or not, the blown highlights actually add to the effect by making the people in the background fade out of sight. And of course the obvious use of DOF. Well done. The baton is officially handed off :D

terrybowker

Re: 163rd Show & Tell Competition: Isolated Subjects - WINNER

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:26 am

Congratulations to Charlie! Great images all! Nice contest!!

Cheers,

Terry

impalass

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:22 am

Congrats to all...excellent....looking forward to the next challenge...

Cheers...Mike

paulbrian

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:46 am

Congrats to the winners. This would have been a very difficult competition to judge!

gillk

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:54 am

Congrats to all the winners - so many great entries ! And Dan, I do like to hear what you liked about your choices.
Gill

tinkettle

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:56 am

Good choices Dan, I am sure it's not easy! Congrats to Chasp and all the winners.

fishit

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks Dan for the kind comments and second place. You had tough choices and I am honored.
Thanks again!

m_hauss

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:13 pm

Thank you for the honorable mention and congratulations to all the winners. I honestly love the winning image, good choice!

chasp

Post Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:50 pm

Wow, I am really surprised at this one! There were so many great entries that I never considered that one of mine would pass muster. Dan, thank you so much. Congratulations to everyone else for the wonderful selection. I will post up a new competition in the next 24 hours.

Regards,
Chasp

Board index PBase Show and Tell 163rd Show & Tell Competition: Isolated Subjects - WINNER