Board index PBase Show and Tell 164th Show & Tell Competition: Long Lens Creativity - WINNER

Show and Tell

164th Show & Tell Competition: Long Lens Creativity - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
chasp

nickviv

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Well, there were not as many contestants as I might have thought, and I apologize if my topic limited some possible contestants, but at the same time, the quality of the submissions was, as always, excellent. This resulted in the usual delay in picking through all of the entries over and over again trying to narrow it down. But you enter a contest, you win, you accept the challenge to host and judge, so here I go.

Honorable Mentions, as usual, in no particular order
Unjay - Some may find the blurry objects in the foreground distracting, but to me they gave separation to the candles, and created an aloneness which, to me, showed the spirit of prayer the candles represent. Perhaps I am overthinking it, but it was my topic, and it is good to be king. :)

Berndk - Loved the flatness of this image, and the totally dissimilar entities that make it up. Art by difference.

Raynerj - Flatness achieved in this image also, but showing the opposite of difference. That, and some element of the colors that I really cannot explain, drew me back to this picture several times.

Bclaypole - Although the total effect of the telephoto touch is not as obvious in this shot as some of the others, the use of the sun, and the thought to anticipate that in taking the shot, and having the timing to do it, warrant an HM here.

Third Place - gillk - The moon, the clouds, and in my mind, the glow on the trees right under the moon all add up to give this shot an essence all of it's own. Above all, I liked that it was different.

Second Place - Terrybowker Terry consistently puts up quality image after quality image, and this is no exception. Rule of thirds, depth of field, great exposure, juxtaposition, it is all in here. And the B&W treatment provides the finishing touch. Well done

First Place - Nickviv So I cannot tell which one of you, Nick or Viv, actually took this shot, but one of you now own the responsibility selecting and running the next Show and Tell. I am a big fan of the Gettysburg Address, an example of saying more with less. This shot falls right into that category. The utter simplicity of it all is what grabbed me. The sun, the origin of life, the seeds, setting new life off on a voyage, the roundness of the dandelion mirroring the roundness of the sun.....and that's it! Plus the spot-on-focus exactly where it has to be. It had me from the start.

All in all, yet another great Show and Tell. Thanks to all who participated, and congrats to Nickviv, and all of the other winners.

terrybowker

Re: 164th Show & Tell Competition: Long Lens Creativity - WINNER

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:20 pm

Congratulations to Nickviv! Great contest idea!

Charlie, thanks for the second place nod, it really means allot coming from you!

Cheers,

Terry

gillk

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Congrats Nickviv - what a fabulous shot. Am thrilled with a 3rd place - thanks Chasp ! And congrats to the other winners.

sandiwhi

164th Show & Tell Competition: Long Lens Creativity - WINNER

Post Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:03 pm

Your first place selection had me from the start too. Excellent choice. All the winners are wonderful examples of creativity in working with a long lens and great inspiration to use my long lens more often. Congrats to everyone. Sandi

fishit

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:58 am

Interesting selection with dynamic quality pictures, congrats to all.

drr1531

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:19 am

Congrats to all. Totally agree with the winner. Great image.

jrmcobra

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:10 am

got to agree with al the selection and the winning images is outstanding

john

paulbrian

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Congrats to the winners. Great images!

tinkettle

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Great wining shot, I have to say it stood out throughout the competition. I really love the second place image, it has a really classic feel and the mood is conveyed perfectly to put it across - excellent!
A difficult subject but worthy winners.

bclaypole

Post Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:01 pm

Great choice of winners and thanks for the HM. Brad

carol202

Post Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:58 pm

The first place winner was my choice for this subject. Great job on the part of the photographer and the judge.

nickviv

Post Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:17 am

thanks all..
It's one of my fave shots of all time...
Let me get my thinking hat on for the next comp.
Forum been down for a while.. hence the dalay.
Nick

evaristo

Post Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:52 pm

Congratulations Nick, your image catch an amazing moment.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 164th Show & Tell Competition: Long Lens Creativity - WINNER