Board index PBase Show and Tell 167th Show & Tell Competition: Amazing and Amusing Culture

Show and Tell

167th Show & Tell Competition: Amazing and Amusing Culture

Announce and discuss your photos.
jojie_alcantara

Post Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:54 pm

First of, I'd like to thank previous contest host jlbrillet for giving me the 2nd place and first placer Juan Leon (jben) for letting me do the honors on hosting. I hope the pbase team will automate my post soon as I am not much into keeping tabs with time and deadline (grin). Sandi, thanks for the up!

My idea of Amazing and Amusing Culture is what I experience in my part of the world. The Asian culture is so rich and colorful which some of you may have not yet encountered in your lives. So I am excited to share with you the lighter side of life in my islands (I was opting for "life in my islands" theme at first, but I wanted to emphasize humor since I am basically a very cheerful person). As a photojournalist, I document and observe behavior and lifestyle and love to capture amusing scenes that tickle the funnybone. It is also an opportunity to introduce something new and unusual in your part of the world (like the traditional barefoot monks I've seen in Thailand who are texting from their cellphones). It could also be a place you have visited which left you with memories of unforgettable scenes. Or of traditional people trying to catch up with the modern times. Nothing obscene, offensive or blasphemous, please.

Here are my set of "Amazing and Amusing Culture", just an introduction of how we Filipinos can be funny, outrageous and inventive. Two of them were taken by a friend because I am in it:

In rural areas, local folks ride the motorcycle as a public transport they call "habal-habal". Quite a feat for the hell driver who will accommodate as many passengers as he can deftly maneuver his mean machine safely(?) on the road. It's an amusing but normal sight in the provinces. Please do not do this balancing act at home. :D

My first taste (me on left side wearing black shirt and holding on for dear life) of the local transportation called SKYLAB (motorcycle with wood planks tied together as passenger seats), a "death defying" experience in a rural area outside of our city. When the motorcycle stops, everyone must jump out at the same time. Oh and this is my front view (I believe this should be my profile pic from now on):

Here's our public transportation called jeepney, where people most often prefer to ride on its roof than inside without safety precautions:

Here's another one! We have the lowest active volcano, and it has a volcano island, inside the crater of another volcano within a volcano! Whoa!! :D :D

While I do want to share more of our quirks, it doesn't have to be just about vehicles. Amaze us! Shock us! Humor us! Make us feel like we'd love to go to THAT place and experience it ourselves. Good luck everyone. Am as excited as you are to see the entries. It will be educational for all of us. I leave it to pbase to place the deadline. :D

Sincerely,
Jojie
Last edited by jojie_alcantara on Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

nickviv

Re: 167th Show & Tell Competition: Amazing and Amusing Culture

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:45 am

Spot the tourist

Living with Nature

Mozambique Coast

dominiccantin

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:36 am

A book 10' high as you can see here http://www.pbase.com/dominiccantin/image/100333413 relating life 400 years ago ! 14 more pages if you click next up-right.

Dom :)

edit 15 august : added 1 image
Last edited by dominiccantin on Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

jojie_alcantara

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:49 am

Ooh, keep them coming guys, love your entries. I added another photo up in my first post to inspire you more! :D :D Weeeee!

Jojie
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

oz_ranger

Post Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:30 pm

1. Petra - Jordan

2. Damascus - Syria

3. Massa Mari - Kenya

gillk

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:01 am

First Nations' Performer celebrating the arrival of the Olympic torch in the local village:

Jackfish Day in Tobago - free fish for everyone !!

Red Hats on Parade for Canada Day (I've entered this one before, but it does seem to fit the topic).

Gill

thengan

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:07 pm

You_Communist_Idiot !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to ride my bicycle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.pbase.com/thengan/image/127417498

mclew

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:30 am

Last edited by mclew on Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

sandiwhi

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:38 am

Hard to believe, but he was the nicest kid.

It's a culture of it's own, the world of dog owners, and especially Doxies.

A strange thing to find not far from San Diego!

evaristo

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:38 am

Last edited by evaristo on Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell 167th Show & Tell Competition: Amazing and Amusing Culture