Board index PBase Show and Tell 173rd Show & Tell Competition: Unusual Beauty - WINNER

Show and Tell

173rd Show & Tell Competition: Unusual Beauty - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
gpmerfeld

m_hauss

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:34 am

Wow! There may not have been that many pages of entries, but those that posted images did a phenomenal job! In fact, I would say that every single person posted at least one image that I would rank among the best, if not more than one, and that made judging extremely difficult. I had to wield the editing knife and at least try to trim down to what I thought were the very finest, but please know that I congratulate EVERYONE on such a fine collection of entries! Even so, there are a lot of HM's and 5 top finishers, so let's get going:

HONORABLE MENTIONS (in no particular order, as all were great!)

A powerfully beautiful and unusual image with terrific composition and tone. Outstanding work, Chris!

Another powerful beauty, perfectly timed and presented! Great job, Marcel.

What can I say? A totally phenomenal image that was actually my second choice for 1st Place, but I put it here as so many had multiple amazing entries, I wanted to spread the honors around. Congratulations Matthias on a double whammy entry!!!

Mystical, magical, moody, unusual, beautiful... Way to go, Sandi!

Wonderfully seen and rendered for a dynamic graphic image! Excellent, Juan!

Fantastic image, Markus! All three of your entries fit the category perfectly. Really fine work...

Amazing shot, perfect for the topic, as was your Playground Bubble image, William. Composition, detail, tone, this one has it all.

One of my very favorites, Peter, and all three of your shots were great. My tiniest nit here would be to straighten the horizon just a tad. I actually tried it, and it works, while still retaining all of your great impact in this shot. Just my two cents...

I love everything about this one. Color, character, a multi-layered street story - doing hair and selling art... Love it!

Another one of my very favorites, a real work of unusual art, both in capture and presentation. All three of your images are top-notch, Mike!

Absolutely beautiful, Gill!

This is pure magic, Dennis, and actually a tie with your Floating Leaf shot, in my eye. Totally different, totally beautiful!

So artistically beautiful, like a Monet painting, and so special for creating this vision in camera. Outstanding, magical work! All three of your images were terrific.

Such a powerful image, with such depth, tone, and beautiful light. All three of your images are winners, in my book, Terry!

Wow! Unusually beautiful indeed! All three of your images perfectly fit the bill as well, Really fine work!

So simple, yet so effective... Outstanding work, Sergey.

And finally we have this lovable character! Great capture, Paulo.

THE TOP 5:

5TH PLACE: OK, we have a tie! :~) What can I say, both so beautiful, both so appropriate, both so different...

What an image, so perfectly executed! Congratulations on such fine work, Daniel!

Another totally amazing image, with perfect point of view, and so beautifully rendered. Way to go, Mike!

4TH PLACE:

Such a classic, timeless, beautiful, unusual image. Great work, Dennis, great work.

3RD PLACE:

Truly a phenomenal image, Terry. Superb mastery of light and tone and atmosphere and story-telling. Pure inspiration!

2ND PLACE:

What a portrait! Such incredible depth of beauty captured, perhaps unusual to Western eyes, but boundless in human spirit, character, color, and culture... Congratulations, Jojie, on such truly special work!

AND THE WINNER IS:

What can I say, but WOW!!! I knew the bar was set when I saw this image (and your other one) early on, and it held up in my eye the entire time. Talk about unusual beauty! How you discovered this creature I will never know (unless perhaps his tail was visible out of frame). But it just doesn't matter because this is one phenomenal capture, perfectly presented! Subject matter, depth of field, composition, color, clarity, the works... A hearty congratulations to you, Matthias! I now turn the next competition over to you!

And again, congrats to each and every one of you. The submissions were a real joy to view...

Aloha,
GP

impalass

Re: 173rd Show & Tell Competition: Unusual Beauty - WINNER

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:01 am

Congrats Matthias...fantastic image!!!! Thanks GP for the HM and 5th place tie...this was a super topic.
Well done fellow Pbaser's on all your entries..they were great.
I look forward to the next Show & Tell.

Cheers....Mike

sandiwhi

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:57 am

Congrats, Matthias, on your win and great shot and to EVERYONE for their HM's and wins. Glad to see this phenominal capture take a first place. And thanks for the honorable mention. In the company of these great shots, it's truly an honor. Sandi

jlben

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:39 am

Wow! A lot of winners in this contest, even I :) (Thanks for the HM GP)

Congrats Matthias, stunning image!

fishit

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:47 am

Thanks for the nods G.P. you had some tough choices and congrats to all the winners.

terrybowker

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:12 am

Congrats Matthias Great shot! GP thanks for third place and for the HM! Wonderful topic !!

grompem

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:13 pm

yeah, i really liked this one. when i inquired about how he found it, it turns out that the park ranger had actually stepped on it! yikes!

jojie_alcantara

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:15 pm

Am very honored to win 2nd place among a great selection of winning entries. Congratulations! And yes, the snake with that evil eye (as if apparently saying, "go ahead, one step more...") is definitely an unforgettable capture. Congrats, Matt! :D
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

gpmerfeld

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:03 pm

I sent Matthias a message informing him of his win... Wonder if he may still be on the road, traveling somewhere, chasing Sidewinders! Please check in, Matthias, the next one is up to you! :~))

pavona

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:10 am

Thank you so much for the HM. I've received a ton of positive comments on that shot, so I'm glad it's recognized in this competition now! =)

m_hauss

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:40 pm

Wow! This is unbelievable! I am so honored winning this competition (and even receiving an additional honorable mention) against so many stunning images. Thank you so much, GP! You really made my day. And also a big thank you to all the nice people for comments and congratulations.

This is the first time that I was among the first three in a show & tell contest, so it really means a lot to me to even win first price. And an interesting sidenote: I joined pbase exactly two years before this win (on octobre 12th 2008), so this is kind of a double aniversery for me. I could not be more happy!

m_hauss

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:43 pm

gpmerfeld wrote:I sent Matthias a message informing him of his win... Wonder if he may still be on the road, traveling somewhere, chasing Sidewinders! Please check in, Matthias, the next one is up to you! :~))

Thank you for the message, GP. I was indeed on the road, but unfortunately on a business trip. In fact, I just got home (it's almost 11pm now here in Germany). I now need to clear my head and come up with a good topic. Maybe I can come up with a topic tonight. I'll do my very best :wink:

m_hauss

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:49 pm

grompem wrote:yeah, i really liked this one. when i inquired about how he found it, it turns out that the park ranger had actually stepped on it! yikes!

That's true. He was looking for a sidewinder, but until then he had only found older tracks from a few days before. He then found fresh tracks and told us to stand back until he found it. So we stayed back at the jeep while he searched for it. After a minute he came back saying "I found it, but we need to wait a few minutes. I stepped on it, and now it's pissed. Let's give it a few minutes to cool down."

He was wearing Crocs, by the way :wink:

pajamacat

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:33 pm

Thanks for choosing my dear dead octopus!! From the Vanderbuilt museum on Long Island.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 173rd Show & Tell Competition: Unusual Beauty - WINNER