Board index Photography Technical Questions Nikon Capture NX/2

Technical Questions

Nikon Capture NX/2

Discuss technical aspects of photography
irislynx

Nikon Capture NX/2

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:06 am

Will capture NX convert a raw image to jpg? ( I'm not familiar with Nikon Capture NX at all) Also, I have heard that people have problems with this program freezing up and then they lose there info and images, Can anyone fill me in on this program? :?

dandbphoto

Re: Nikon Capture NX/2

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:19 am

Yes - that is Nikon's program for raw image manipulation and conversion. It does have a tendency to lock up, causing loss of the edits made to the image it had open. It does not cause you to lose your images, edits that were saved in other images, etc.

We use NX2 for 95% of our editing needs - wedding, portrait, product, etc.

HTH

Dwight

irislynx

Post Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks so much dwight

irislynx

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:40 am

one more question, Is there a big difference between capture NX and Capture NX2 ?

dandbphoto

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:41 am

Hmm...

Hard to remember - we've been in NX2 since it came out.

I could be wrong, but I think the healing brush is new, and it handles multiple actions better.

Sorry for the non-answer, I just don't remember what changed now that it's in the past. I wouldn't bother with NX - it's the old version.

Dwight

irislynx

Post Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:28 am

Thankyou so much again, Much appreciated!

irislynx

Post Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:35 pm

The reason why I asked about Capture NX instead of Nx 2 is because it's a lot cheaper, I use paint shop pro 7 to work on most of my images and I got use to using this program and didn't really want to change from it right now, I would only use C nx to change Raw images to jpg so I could work on them and post them, So if C nx could do this at less then half the price of C NX2 thats what I would prefere as I just want to be able to work on and post Raw files after they were converted. I would much prefere to put funds towards a new lens or two opposed to a newer program but need something to help me get Raw files into jpg format and this is pretty much all new to me.

fotostefan

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:17 am

irislynx wrote:one more question, Is there a big difference between capture NX and Capture NX2 ?

In my opinion NX2 is faster then NX.

irislynx

Post Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks fotostefan

robertwhite

Post Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 am

Just for your information Nikon lso do a free download Viewnx2 ok for basic conversion and limited processing but obviously no where near as powerful as Capture NX2

kaj_e

Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:08 pm

Capture NX2 allows you to make edits to a RAW file (edits are non destructive and completely reversible). Th edits are saved as instructions to the file when opened in Capture NX2 the NEF is intact.

You can also save the edited (or unedited) NEF as a jpg or tiff.

I use capture NX2 for all my RAW conversions and have not had any more very rare freezes as with any other piece of software.

Kaj E
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e

irislynx

Post Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:47 am

Thanks all for the added info! I was planning on getting CNX2 untill I realized my computer won't be able to handle it as I only have 512MB of ram, I'm very dissapointed now as I would really like to be able to shoot in raw and convert the images. I'm kinda afraid to use the online free sites as I feel there are so many fake sites out there and I don't want to get any carrie-a -longs.

irislynx

Post Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:29 am

I just found out that I could possibly add more memory to my puter, So ,I'm going to look into this and maybe I will be able to get NX2 after all.

crisscross

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:17 pm

irislynx wrote:I just found out that I could possibly add more memory to my puter, So ,I'm going to look into this and maybe I will be able to get NX2 after all.

Probably a bit late, but (a) the current version of Capture NX2 2.3 is fully 64 bit and has many previous bugs sorted; it is THE one to use (b) I am a mac man and know only that my macBook pro 2.4 GH and with 4GB RAM OS10.6.8 is only just fast enough, in fact there is a hesitation between a preview of the last operation and the full works. PCs tend to be effectively slower than macs for same nominal processor speed (or used to be) and you need the later OS, post Vista (c) an older computer might run better using Capture NX2 v2.0 or 2.1 if you find a used copy - but you may not be able to upgrade free unless you ALSO have a v 1 access code

Have you seen my intro galleries - http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/nx2 + advanced and later cameras?

crisscross

Post Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:17 pm

irislynx wrote:I just found out that I could possibly add more memory to my puter, So ,I'm going to look into this and maybe I will be able to get NX2 after all.

Probably a bit late, but (a) the current version of Capture NX2 2.3 is fully 64 bit and has many previous bugs sorted; it is THE one to use (b) I am a mac man and know only that my macBook pro 2.4 GH and with 4GB RAM OS10.6.8 is only just fast enough, in fact there is a hesitation between a preview of the last operation and the full works. PCs tend to be effectively slower than macs for same nominal processor speed (or used to be) and you need the later OS, post Vista (c) an older computer might run better using Capture NX2 v2.0 or 2.1 if you find a used copy - but you may not be able to upgrade free unless you ALSO have a v 1 access code

Have you seen my intro galleries - http://www.pbase.com/crisscross/nx2 + advanced and later cameras?

Next

Board index Photography Technical Questions Nikon Capture NX/2