Board index PBase Feature Requests Yet another Renewal rant, how long will this stale mate last

Feature Requests

Yet another Renewal rant, how long will this stale mate last

Request changes or modifications.
chestersgallery

Yet another Renewal rant, how long will this stale mate last

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:15 pm

I could not post tonight because my subscription had ran out. It has to be the first time I have ever had to really think hard about renewing since joining Pbase. To be honest my decision to do so was purely driven from the people using PBase and not the web site its self.
I have been spending a bit of time on some rival sites and although they knock spots off Pbase in their design and use, they don't come with the same camaraderie that PBase does.
I hope the owners of PBase are aware of how many people are renewing based on other users and not on the design or usability of the web site.

Its a dangerous game PBase are playing from a business point of view, I stayed this time, but in 12 months who knows. Come on PBase 12 months to spruce things up. PLEASE! JUST DO IT.

Get your fingers out, do some research , and give people what others are offering as standard, and often for free. If you have to throw a few adds in to pay your way then do it, I can handle a few banners here and there.

chestersgallery

Re: Yet another Renewal rant, how long will this stale mate last

Post Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:16 pm

PS The above message took 30 seconds to send :evil: enough said

kleine

Post Tue May 03, 2011 2:50 pm

I had never before considered not renewing with PBase. But in the last month, I have discovered that PBase has actually been posting photos to my public profile page which are marked "private" (i.e. are in a password protected gallery or marked as non-public at the gallery level or the image level). This has been the case not only for galleries marked private but for the relevant sub-galleries which should also be private. Pbase has been working with me on this issue for about a week and has still been unable to solve it -- I still have photos of my family and children which are marked private appearing publicly on the web under my name. I urge you all to look into this issue if you care about privacy -- to see which randomly generated photos Pbase puts on your profile (which first requires logging out).

I have used Pbase for many years and am frankly stunned at how unhelpful they have been in solving this problem, and how unapologetic that my private images are splashed all over the internet.

ssim

Post Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 am

chestersgallery wrote:I could not post tonight because my subscription had ran out.

While I totally agree that Pbase could be doing a whole lot more to serve its customers what do you expect a company to do when someone's paid membership expires. Are they supposed to just carry you. If you are after free photo sharing then jaunt on over to Flickr. Pbase could easily have positioned itself to where Flickr is partly but there are just too many people looking for something for nothing.

We are prepared to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars for our cameras and lenses but yet we bitch about a spending a few dollars a month to have a customizable site that we can share our photos on. There is always that old saying, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out". The business model of Pbase is not to provide its services for free, it is user pay site.

chestersgallery

Post Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:11 pm

ssim wrote:
chestersgallery wrote:I could not post tonight because my subscription had ran out.

While I totally agree that Pbase could be doing a whole lot more to serve its customers what do you expect a company to do when someone's paid membership expires. Are they supposed to just carry you. If you are after free photo sharing then jaunt on over to Flickr. Pbase could easily have positioned itself to where Flickr is partly but there are just too many people looking for something for nothing.

We are prepared to pay thousands upon thousands of dollars for our cameras and lenses but yet we bitch about a spending a few dollars a month to have a customizable site that we can share our photos on. There is always that old saying, "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out". The business model of Pbase is not to provide its services for free, it is user pay site.

Think you missed my point. I have had no problem paying, its what I have done for the past 3 years. Its what I was getting for my money that I was ranting about. And I have an account on flickr too. Both sites have their pro's and con's. PBase have done a lot since I posted the original thread, this suggests they do know what I was getting at. And to put the record straight, I am still using the same "1000 dollar" set up I inherited 4 years ago, so no, I don't spend a fortune on equipment. My photography is on a tight budget, and I watch what I'm getting for every penny I spend. This includes PBase.

photokhan

Post Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:13 am

You have a point.

My involvement with PBase is also more of an emotional one, based on the community and "pre-history" than a rational one.
It has come to a point where I actually avoid experimenting other sites, lest I be extremely impressed and be tempted into changing camps.
I feel like they never stepped out of the "photo geek friends who built a photo site" stance into a more solid, business oriented posture. Their customer support, for instance, is very rudimentary and completely unfocused, as illustrated by Keine post, above.
The funny thing is that, although innovation and renewal action induced by user's comments is kind of slow to appear, when it does, it never fails to impress me both for the creative and technical sides of the solutions. This tells me that, most probably, the site's limitations do not stem from a fading of enthusiasm but rather form resources limitations.
Although this is a move that requires an huge amount of carefulness to avoid intrinsic pitfalls, I really would love for PBase to take a bold, huge step forward, by increasing their fees (...I wouldn't mind to double the current ones, myself...), pair up with serious co-oriented investor(s), hire some more brilliant minds and step from being the best true photographic community oriented site to being THE photography site, period.

PK

thh

Post Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:22 pm

chestersgallery wrote:...

Its a dangerous game PBase are playing from a business point of view, I stayed this time, but in 12 months who knows. Come on PBase 12 months to spruce things up. PLEASE! JUST DO IT.

Get your fingers out, do some research , and give people what others are offering as standard, and often for free. If you have to throw a few adds in to pay your way then do it, I can handle a few banners here and there.

"Spruce things up" what? You must be specific.

I for once was with Pbase for the very reason that we have never ever an ad banner!! Its the point. Also, in the past many sites cheated on Copyright, they wanted grab the rights to your images. Pbase was always the place in which the copyright expresis verbis is with you.

Also, I can narrate and navigate as I like, I love to see the camera/lens/(film) links. Of course we have free sites, some even looking quite well: Picassa for example. Flickr is just ugly for me, I have no desire to show my images like that. And I do not trust them. They were the now defunct Yahoo-Images once upon a time. Numerous other sites might be good alternatives, Smugmug for example. But I like the down to earth CSS only based pbase. Well, maybe the key navigation would be now very welcomed. See Microsoft Live images, they made a really fast implementation of it.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Yet another Renewal rant, how long will this stale mate last