Board index PBase Feature Requests iPad app

Feature Requests

iPad app

Request changes or modifications.
jypsee

Re: iPad app

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:30 am

OK.. I've bought the iPad2 and use my iPhone as well... Now I want a way to upload from them...

dominiccantin

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:50 am

arjunrc wrote:Ah... so that's the difference between girlfriends and wives.
Girlfriends: Give you an iPad
Wives: Give you 10 reasons why you should not buy one.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

dct

Post Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:39 pm

jypsee wrote:OK.. I've bought the iPad2 and use my iPhone as well... Now I want a way to upload from them...

Excuse me for jumping in, as I have no clue of Apple HW or SW but I suppose an iPad has a browser as every decent online device? If yes, why can't you upload with the browser like any other device does?

crocodile

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Much as I didn't want the hassle or expense, I opened an account with Zenfolio as they now have an iPad app. I am at my summer place for a couple of months and the only net connection I have for uploading is my iPad. While there are freebie photo services that have iPad apps, I don't care for their presentation or other settings, so I chose Zenfolio. That doesn't mean that I won't continue to use Pbase as I have about 6000 images stored in many galleries and I do prefer the presentation design to just about everything else out there. Anyhow, for the summer, I will be using Zenfolio to store images. It's not the answer either though. Their iPad app has a major glitch which I hope they will fix in the near future. Once you up load images into a gallery, there is no way to move them around to change the order. I asked about this and was informed that I can control the order by uploading in the order I want the photos. Doesn't really work for me as I am uploading images of moths which are taken on a daily basis and they are sorted by species, so the lack of a sort function is a major sticking point. I will be able to sort at a later date when I have regular net access on my home computer this autumn.

I guessthe thing that bothers me about the pbase situation with no app at this time is that, if we had a way to FTP into a holding gallery, we could do that with any iPad using an app such as FTPontheGo. I am currenty using that app to upload into my Yahoo server account and it works like a charm. Once the photos are uploaded, I can move them around using the regular filemanager via a browser. Pbase works the same as it has an interface that allows an iPad to actually do all the rest of the functions - other than uploading. So, all we would need is the capability of uploading into some kind of inbox via FTP. Seems to me that would be a simple enough thing to set up - probably even simpler than developing an iPad app.

One of you asked why you can't upload the usual way. The reason is that, when you go to a website that uses a typical uoload system where the site can browse your image files in your computer, it is not able to find files in the iPad. This is pretty standard as I've run into the same problem when trying to upload files on other sites. The only work around I have found is to use an FTP app, or to use the iPad app provided by the sites (Flikr, Picasa, etc.. have made them available).

dct

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:28 pm

crocodile wrote:One of you asked why you can't upload the usual way. The reason is that, when you go to a website that uses a typical uoload system where the site can browse your image files in your computer, it is not able to find files in the iPad. This is pretty standard as I've run into the same problem when trying to upload files on other sites. The only work around I have found is to use an FTP app, or to use the iPad app provided by the sites (Flikr, Picasa, etc.. have made them available).

Thank you for the clarification. Looking at your reason for an upload app, it seems more of a workaround because you cannot access your own local files from your browser? If I had such behaviour on a "standard" Windows system, I would call it a bug, rather than standard...

Now that I realize the extent of your problem, I support your request too, that PBase should help you with an upload app. Or Apple does patch the bug?

crocodile

Post Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:27 pm

dct - Yes, it is a case of not being able to find and select local files in the iPad. For some reason, the iPad is not compatible with the system that is used to select files as on a Mac or PC. I am hoping this is an issue that will be resolved by Apple, probably through a change in the iPad O/S, but it is not an issue that I have seen addressed very much. Most websites that are of the type that iPad users would frequent, have already developed apps that make uploading and other tasks quite simple. I can understand the reluctance of some sites to not bother if they don't feel that there are many iPad users who will use their site. In most cases, I've been able to get around this problem either by using an FTP program, or by using an app sich as DropBox where you can upload files, and then use another website to navigate to the uploaded files and copu them into the intended destination. However, Pbase doesn't seem to allow FTPing of files, nor does it allow us to navigate to a URL to copy an image file into our galleries. To my mind, either of those options would not be particularly difficult to arrange if Pbase is finding the development of an app to be too costly -although I wonder about that as there are tons of people developing very complex apps, so how difficult or costly could it be to hire someone to produce a simple upload app? It is not like we need anything muspch more as I have experimented with the iPad and it seems that just about every other function on Pbase works as usual just using the iPad and any of several browsers. Well, perhaps an upcoming iPad O/S version will eliminate the problem. Here's hoping.

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:08 pm

I have yet to test the edit page on an iPad, but when I tested it on an iPhone I was able to upload just fine. I am working on an uploader app that will work on the iPad and iPhone, but it isn't intended as a full blown editing tool. You will be able to do either a batch upload or a single upload (for the single upload you can set the title and caption). After I get that working, I will make the Android app. They will all be free.

crocodile

Post Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:31 am

hi ckirby,
Interesting that you can upload from an iphone. I don't own one -just the ipad - so can't try. look forward to trying your phto upload app once it is ready.

claystewart

Post Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:40 pm

Thats great news ckirby! :D

crocodile

Post Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:07 pm

ckirby wrote: I am working on an uploader app that will work on the iPad and iPhone,.... After I get that working, I will make the Android app. They will all be free.

Hello ckirby.
Just wondering if there has been any progress made with the iPad upload app yet? If you need someone to do some testing on an iPad, let me know as I am quite willing to give it a try.

regards,
Bev

jypsee

Re: uploading from gadgets

Post Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:50 am

I tried uploading from my iPhone 4, but there's no "choose file" function/button... Don't know how ckirby is doing it.

On another note: I bought a Toshiba Thrive Android tablet to play with and --- I CAN UPLOAD using the phase edit page! Yay!!

ckirby
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:37 pm

The app is in review, we will let you know when it is available.

yardbird

Post Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:25 pm

Awesome!

ssim

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:49 pm

I have the iPad2 and the iPhone and I can't imagine trying to use these devices to upload anything other than funny and family type shots. No one is using these to take serious photographic shots. I would guess that a high percentage of people that have an I-product also have a laptop if they take photography seriously. I would much rather see phase management put their energies on higher priority items that many having been requesting for a long time.

crocodile

Post Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:10 pm

I would expect that most of the other iPad owners who have requested an upload app are like me. We take photos with our cameras and download into the iPad and then upload from there into our online galleries. Resizing, cropping, sharpening and most other edits can be done quite easily on an iPad. I stopped packing a laptop with me a year ago as I am on the road so much of the time and find a 3G enabled iPad to be less nuisance and capable of uploading from just about any location. I can use it to FTP my photos and video clips into my own web host, but not pbase (yet), so will welcome having an app to do so.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Feature Requests iPad app