Board index PBase Show and Tell 213th Show & Tell Competition: CREATIVE SELF-PORTRAIT - WINN

Show and Tell

213th Show & Tell Competition: CREATIVE SELF-PORTRAIT - WINN

Announce and discuss your photos.
jojie_alcantara

Post Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:25 pm

Hi guys! First off, thank you for joining the contest and giving me such a hard time in narrowing my top choices. The delay was due even more to my taking so much time enjoying and hovering over each of your galleries. I feel like I've gotten to know you guys in a voyeuristic kind of way. :D

Because I had several favorites, am whittling down my selection to certain points: that the SP theme will have to be about the photographer alone. That rules out the family and couple shots but will have to mention them as honorables because their images were certainly heartwarming in such beautiful compositions:

HONORABLES

Dennis, this is so poignant and touching, your photo with Max. The lighting barely grazes both your faces in illumination, yet his captured smile lights up the whole photo. It is beautifully effective.

Bartosz, if this was a family portrait, I'd declare yours a winner hands down. Composition and tones are outstanding! I did spend a lot of time just looking at your adorable baby's gallery. :D

Nelson, my heart melts at this stunning composition of love and affection. The framing is so exact, the setting nostalgic and romance fills the air. :D

Now that family with self-portrait is reluctantly ruled out, I must also see the person clearly in the photo. But since I am looking for a creative composition, I also give these entries a salute for being so darn provocative. So more of the Honorables, part 2:

...I see you very clearly here and I do appreciate you flashing at me, Erich. You score high for bravery and self-confidence. :D :shock: :D :mrgreen: :-)

...you have taken a "tongue-in-cheek" photo to another level, Brad. Most especially that Canon under the railway train shot, it is almost upsetting and horribly
fascinating at the same time. :D

Jasja, yours is a fascinating reflection shot, but I wish I could see more of you, not disappearing so much into the landscape background.

FOURTH PLACE

This is a wonderful rendition of oneself, you almost look so ethereal, Kirsten. Personally, upon looking at your SP gallery, I love the one of your pregnant self-portrait. :-)

THIRD PLACE

Erich, after I have recovered from seeing so much of you in one raw image, the next decision was a toss up between you and you (dual SP), or you and you and you (mirrored SP). I opted for this two of you, and am only glad you both didn't decide on sunning in your backyard in a birthday suit. :-)

SECOND PLACE goes to

Mike, while your other self portrait was beautifully lighted (holding the Practical Photography Magazine), I keep coming back to this photo with the dynamic framing and the edgy, gothic tone. Your other SP gallery shots are equally as fascinating and you don't look a day over 50 as well, so never say old. :D

MY TOP SHOT (FIRST PLACE) goes to

Elias...I don't know how to explain the sheer madness of this self-portrait. I like your other lunatic shot as well with the hammer over your head poised upon the "poor unaware mouse" (good acting too), it's simply hilarious and amazing. You have transferred your creative touch from your painting to your photography and it is worth the digital artistry. Your self-portrait tells me you are a fun person to be with (including the mad scientist). I simply have to give the next theme to you, even as I shudder in anticipation just thinking what your mind is cooking for our assignment next.

Congratulations everyone! It was an honor to be choosing top entries from a set of fine photographers. Thank you for letting me see you up close. :D :D

AMENDED OCT. 28
IMPORTANT: DUE TO TECHNICAL RULING (see my last post below), FIRST PLACE now goes to
Last edited by jojie_alcantara on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

fishit

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:47 am

I appreciate the honorable mention. I also like the picture you chose as a winner.
But the entry did not meet the guidelines of the competition rules.

Med format is required and that was not the case. I even PM the photographer to make the change.
If the group wants to allow so be it.
It was really nice for some automation Emily and slug added.
But so came new people not knowing the rules, which has pro-con changes.

Oh well .. so be it, congrats to winners and HRs.

impalass

Re: 213th Show & Tell Competition: CREATIVE SELF-PORTRAIT - WINN

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:02 am

Thanks for the second place and your kind comments, Great images from all of you congrats. Looking forward to the next round.

Cheers...Mike

mangoman

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 4:48 am

Thanks for the honorable mention and your nice comments Jojie. Very much appreciated.

Great choice on the winner, a day in the office for a mad scientist! Indeed, what's next?

jojie_alcantara

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:18 am

Dennis, thanks for the heads up. Maybe that should let everyone know now that photo size is an important rule to be followed also. I overlooked that one as well. We have to be tighter in next competition. :D

erichmangl

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:47 am

fishit wrote:I appreciate the honorable mention. I also like the picture you chose as a winner.
But the entry did not meet the guidelines of the competition rules.

Med format is required and that was not the case. I even PM the photographer to make the change.
If the group wants to allow so be it.
It was really nice for some automation Emily and slug added.
But so came new people not knowing the rules, which has pro-con changes.

Oh well .. so be it, congrats to winners and HRs.

i would prefer anyway that the forum is set this way that only the PB-IMAGE tag is working - hate it when i open a thread and full screen pictures jump on me

fishit

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:17 am

"erichmangl"
i would prefer anyway that the forum is set this way that only the PB-IMAGE tag is working - hate it when i open a thread and full screen pictures jump on me

I would prefer the rules be followed, it was not hard to do before the image tag, but that was before automation.
That is why we had rules to keep the initial view equal, you can set the link code to go to large not original.
I pointed out the rule to the winner several days before the end of the contest, it was ignored, so was the contest rule, why have rules.

I give up.

emmelafoto

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:13 pm

The picture you chose as the winner is no doubt fantastic.

But I agree with Dennis and Erich. We should follow the rules.

Maaike

jojie_alcantara

Post Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:19 pm

Guys, as I am the current host of the theme competition, I would like to make an objective amendment based on the existing rules of the competition. I have cut and paste from the Rules of the Contest:

Posting Photos for a Contest
1. Photos must be hosted on pbase.com
2. Maximum of 3 photos per contest.
3. Photos must be embedded in your post. See the following link for how to do this http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=18022
4. Post only medium versions of your picture using the PB-Image button
5. The host is not eligible for their own contest.
6. Any picture you've taken is eligible, regardless of date taken and camera.
7. You can do all the post processing you want.

I understand the current winner I picked did not follow rule number 4. With this in mind (and however much I liked your photo, Elias), I respectfully choose my 2nd winner as Mike's. I will gladly put Elias' the Mad Scientist's photo in the honorable mention. :D

FINAL FIRST PLACE

I hope no one is raising any reaction on this, as I deem it fair for everyone. If I may say as well, am part guilty of a ruling too: I just read we are only allowed to post up to FIVE honorable mentions, and first to third place winners. I picked SIX honorable mentions, and went up to fourth place. :D :D :D

Cheers, everybody. Next theme, please, Mike? Will anybody please inform Elias (he has changed username from 365digital to fine art) of the changes, anyhow? Sandi? Dennis? Pretty please? There is no edit to the automated winner so I can't change the username. :D :D

Sincerely, Jojie

impalass

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:50 am

WOW this is pleasant surprise.......thanks again I will post the next competition soon, as this has caught me a little off guard.

Cheers...Mike
Last edited by impalass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishit

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:32 am

I hope I do not come off as a *rick, but that was one firm rule.
The idea is to have fun and post your best work, the first winner was a great picture, no question.
I hope I offended no one, my comments were meant to keep the contest true to it's past.

365digital

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:31 pm

Hello every one, thanks for the opportunity,
I have been away form Pbase forums for almost a year due to back surgery and few more issues, By the way thanks to the previous winner for choosing me as a new winner, If the rest of participants were not happy because I didn't follow the rules, no worries at all, not harsh feelings , congratulations to the new winner, and congratulations to all the rest of participants with honorable places. Peace for all .

365digital

Post Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:14 pm

fishit wrote:"erichmangl"

I would prefer the rules be followed, it was not hard to do before the image tag, but that was before automation.
That is why we had rules to keep the initial view equal, you can set the link code to go to large not original.
I pointed out the rule to the winner several days before the end of the contest, it was ignored, so was the contest rule, why have rules.

I give up.

I'm sorry for not viewing your massage when you sent it to me. I was out of Pbase for few days. I never ignore massages from others, so I apologize for not reading it on time, will go right now to my inbox to read the massage you sent me.I will be more careful in my next entry.

jojie_alcantara

Post Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:08 am

Elias,

Hugs to you! Hope your surgery went well, so you can post more of your mad shots. Thanks for being a good sport. :D :D

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell 213th Show & Tell Competition: CREATIVE SELF-PORTRAIT - WINN