Board index PBase Show and Tell 215th Show & Tell Competition: New is Old - WINNER

Show and Tell

215th Show & Tell Competition: New is Old - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
chasp

viljamix

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:15 am

As always, a great collection of submissions, which leads to a long time for the judge to view and ponder. This site always humbles me. As a photographer, you always think your stuff is pretty good....until you see what others can do. But this is also the best way to learn. So sticking to recent tradition, I give you three Honorable Mentions, and my top three picks.

Honorable Mentions

sandiwhi
Besides a really great job in post processing, this photo looks an awful lot like my grandfather, whom I never met as he passed away in 1931 when my mother was just 4. I had an emotional attachment as soon as I saw it.

bclaypole
As a train lover, this image really appealed to me. I love the contrast, and the sun's reflection off of the side of the car. Well thought out capture.

giilk
I expected Mr. Lincoln to walk out the front door. What more can I say?

Third Place Kirstenmary
Not all old pictures have to be black and white or sepia. There are a number of pictures of me as a child which have this 1950's National Geographic early Kodachrome tint to them. They are old. This is not, but certainly looks as though it was taken in that period. I would love to learn how to do this.

Second Place gpmerfeld
This image reminded me of early 20th century text books, where the publisher would colorize a sepia toned print. The details in the leaves, and the depth of field you would get from an old bellows camera really captured my eye.

First Place Viljamix
My first place pick takes "creating" old to an art form. The wrinkles and cracks, the coffee stains, all of it had me checking and rechecking the original vs. the reworked version. This is a close to perfect as you can get....and therefore gets the First Place Prize! Well done!!

A great job by all. Thank you all for allowing me to spend the time I did viewing your work. It was an honor and a pleasure.
Regards,
Chasp

terrybowker

Re: 215th Show & Tell Competition: New is Old - WINNER

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:38 am

Great contest all around! Congratulations to all of the winners, wonderful selections!!!

fishit

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:05 am

All good choices congrats to all winners and HM

impalass

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:31 am

Congrats to all the winners super images and contest....... I look forward to the next.

Cheers...Mike

emmelafoto

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:49 am

Congratulations to the winner. The best!!!
Maaike

gpmerfeld

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:11 am

Thank you so much for the second place honor, and congratulations to everyone for such fine entries. Special congrats to the winner for a great image perfectly suited to this theme... Aloha, GP.

bclaypole

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:08 pm

Thanks for the HM - looking forward to the next one. Brad

viljamix

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Thank you for picking my image! :D
Also congrats to the other winners as well.
I'll announce the new topic later in this evening.
I really do appreciate if you could leave a comment. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Cheers, Jorma

You'll never get out of this life alive.

http://pbase.com/viljamix

gillk

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 pm

Thanks for the HM - not sure Lincoln would want to share that abode with the pack rats !!! Congrats to the winners and other HM's - fun topic.
Gill

kirstenmary

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:54 pm

Thank you so much for third! I am honored!!!!

matsk

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:55 pm

First congrats to the winners and HM.

As Chasp points out the most interesting with the contest is to messure your self against all good photographers. out there.
It's probably not always you agree with the referee who should have the top position, in this case it was no discussion.
To rank the rest was maybe a harder job. Look forward to the next challange.

Mats

sandiwhi

Post Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks for the HM Chasp! So glad to bring a memory back for you.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 215th Show & Tell Competition: New is Old - WINNER