Board index PBase Show and Tell 223rd Show and tell competition : Unforgettable - WINNERS

Show and Tell

223rd Show and tell competition : Unforgettable - WINNERS

Announce and discuss your photos.
nickviv

223rd Show and tell competition : Unforgettable - WINNERS

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:03 am

hi all

I'd have liked to have seen a lot more entries into this competition, but I understand some long time entrants have given up on entering based on how long it takes people to start new comps.
It's a shame, so let's try to get this running smoothly again as it is fun.

To those of you who did enter, many thanks.

So, as you all know, this competition was about being unforgettable. My test was to look briefly at the photos then leave it a day, and then try to remember the photos.
Photos that do well in this test are the ones that really make an impression, not necessarily photos that are nice to look at.

To my surprise, I only remembered 4.

Here they are:

Rowing Man by gpmerfeld:

- Just to prove how unforgettable this image was, I had to go back to gpmerfeld's page to find it as he pulled it from the competition just before the close ! From a personal perspective, it looks a bit too photoshopped for my liking, but it really is unforgettable. GP - had you have left this in you'd have won..

so, in 3rd place:
bartoszkotulski's evening shot:

I was not expecting to have a scenic shot in the list of ones I remembered, so this was a surprise. It's such a tranquil photo with excellent light, proportions, and timing. Beautiful.

in 2nd place:
Erich with his hand:

Brilliant - I had to look twice at this photo to work out what was going on, and that's why it stuck in my mind

and the winner is:
Jojie Alcantara's fisherman

- I would so much have liked for the whole fish's mouth to be in the shot, but I guess it doesn't matter as it's the winner! My eye is immediately drawn to the fish's eye and that hand clinging to the inside. A powerful image indeed.

Well done Jojie.. Over to you.

Nick

impalass

Re: 223rd Show and tell competition : Unforgettable - WINNERS

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:50 pm

Well done all and congrats.....looking forward to the next comp.....

Cheers...Mike

irislynx

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:06 pm

Congrats to all the winners! Great photos everyone!
gpmerfeld's was my top favorite too, I was so impressed with that image! ( Wish he would have left it in the contest) Even when he took his entries off, I had to go to his page and look at it again ( And again, and again!!) When I didn't look at the entries for a while, His photo was the first to enter my mind and the last to leave it! Such an amazing intense image!! Hats off to you gpmerfeld!

gpmerfeld

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Again, my sincere apologies for pulling my pictures, but once I found that I would be unable to host the next competition, I didn't think it fair to leave them up. I think that every person who enters must be prepared to take responsibility for the next competition (which takes time and dedication), especially in light of the recent problems in keeping the contests running smoothly. Bad timing on my part, but it just could not be avoided...

My heartiest congratulations to Jojie and the other winners! Jojie, you are a brilliant photographer, and I applaud your talent in bringing your culture to the eyes of the world in such an artistic and beautiful way. Best of luck with the next contest, and I do hope that some positive changes will be made at PBase to bring more talent back to the pool for future competitions.

Warm Aloha,
GP

bclaypole

Post Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:58 pm

Good contest! GP, your decision to pull your images when you found out you could not host the next is commendable.
Congrats to the winners.

fishit

Post Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:47 am

gpmerfeld wrote:Again, my sincere apologies for pulling my pictures, but once I found that I would be unable to host the next competition, I didn't think it fair to leave them up. I think that every person who enters must be prepared to take responsibility for the next competition (which takes time and dedication), especially in light of the recent problems in keeping the contests running smoothly. Bad timing on my part, but it just could not be avoided...

My heartiest congratulations to Jojie and the other winners! Jojie, you are a brilliant photographer, and I applaud your talent in bringing your culture to the eyes of the world in such an artistic and beautiful way. Best of luck with the next contest, and I do hope that some positive changes will be made at PBase to bring more talent back to the pool for future competitions.

Warm Aloha,
GP

Mahalo for working within the spirit of the contest friend, either way it is a great picture.
Congrats to all the winners and HMs.

jojie_alcantara

Post Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:42 pm

Nick, thanks so much for choosing my photo. I actually blocked the fisherman's way on his way up the wharf, so he almost went out of my frame (and I can feel him almost wanting to slap the heavy fish at me for being in the way).

I'd like to congratulate everybody for the beautiful entries. And yours particularly, GP, your montage of three photos (paddler, whale and coastline) are truly unforgettable and a really brilliant example of seamless enhancing. Not to mention that you had the grace to pull out with due respect to us (and in turn, giving me the win).

That said, I would like to coax the veteran Pbasers to come back again for the love of photography and for the new ones to look up to for tips. :D My next theme is a no-brainer so I am actually posting now. Thanks, Nick, for emailing me about the win.

On to the next! :D
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

Board index PBase Show and Tell 223rd Show and tell competition : Unforgettable - WINNERS