Board index Photography Technical Questions CF vs SD memory cards - Which one is better?

Technical Questions

CF vs SD memory cards - Which one is better?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
photoascoli

CF vs SD memory cards - Which one is better?

Post Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:58 am

In the new Nikon D800 there are two slots; one for SD card and one for CF card. - which card type is best for still photos, and which one is better for HD video?

and why? You can assign either card as primary stills or videos.

(I am getting this camera soon)

sthuman

Re: CF vs SD memory cards - Which one is better?

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:09 pm

The ones you already have so you don't have to buy more! Beyond that, it depends on the specs of the cards. Price is similar, performance is similar, ect. So the specific specs for the cards you compare matter more than much else. If you have other devices that use one type of card that may be the type to get. Then you could use them on either device, though that can have problems (say you have photos on a card and stick it in another camera. The second camera won't see the other photos which may lead you to format the card and erase the photos from the other camera). So again, my first sentence says more than anything else.

sthuman

Post Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:11 pm

PS. Maybe both. CF dedicated to still photos and SD dedicated to video. That makes it easy to keep the two separate ect.

photoascoli

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:47 am

Thanks for the info. I will use one slot for the still photos and the other one (the SD) for the video.
I checked with Nikon support and you can select either of the slots as the Primary slot.
Dov

Board index Photography Technical Questions CF vs SD memory cards - Which one is better?