Board index PBase Show and Tell 232nd Show & Tell Competition: Timing is everything

Show and Tell

232nd Show & Tell Competition: Timing is everything

Announce and discuss your photos.
mdejong

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:03 am

The next theme is "Timing is everything"
One example:

This shot was taken in California on Pfeiffer Beach. You obviously need to be there at the right time during sunset. Furthermore the best and only time to catch the sun through the hole is during the winter solstice. It helps when you are there with no clouds during sunset. And if the tide is just right the waves crash on the rocks in just the right way to catch the sunlight through the hole and reflecting on the spray of the water. Obviously this place is not a secret and you will not be alone when trying to photograph it at just the right time during the year, just the right day with the right weather and the right tide level ......

Looking forward to y'alls interpretations of the theme.

Cheers,

Marcel

Submissions will be closed on Friday the 20th of April 2012 at 3:03:51 UTC

Posting Photos for a Contest
1. Photos must be hosted on pbase.com
2. Maximum of 3 photos per contest.
3. Photos must be embedded in your post. See the following link for how to do this http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=18022
4. Post only medium versions of your picture using the PB-Image button
5. The host is not eligible for their own contest.
6. Any picture you've taken is eligible, regardless of date taken and camera, as long as it hasn't already won another contest.
7. You can do all the post processing you want.

Winning and Running a Contest
1. If you enter the Show and Tell Contest, please note the closing date and be sure to check back to see if you won.
2. If you win the Show and Tell Contest and cannot run the next one, please notify the person running the contest immediately, so they can notify the second place winner.
3. If you decide to run the next contest, please post the new contest within 24 hours.
4. When the contest ends, please post the winners within 24-48 hours. (If you keep an eye on entries during the week, you will have a good idea of your favorites by the time the contest ends, and be able to more quickly post your winners.)
5. If you know you will not be able to post a contest, judge it, and post winners, within these timeframes, please do not start one. Instead, notify the person running the contest, so they can pass it on to the second place winner.
6. Pick first, second, and third place winners. You may include up to 5 honorable mentions.
7. Include these rules in the body of your contest.

Competition History available at http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42757

a_zeitler

Re: 232nd Show & Tell Competition: Timing is everything

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:45 am

Timing: Long Exposure
Nikon D200 MB-D200; Sony Nex-5n; Nikon 28-105 F3.5-4.5 D; Nikon 50mm F1.8 D; Nikon 85mm F1.8; Tokina 12-24 F4 DX AT-X Pro; Sigma 70-200 F2.8; Nikon SB800; Manfrotto 303plus; Lowepro Slingshot 302AW; Heliopan 77mm Thin Circular Polarizer

pavona

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:58 am

nickviv

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:57 am

Marcel - Loving your example shot... Incredible light.. I have no idea how you've managed to get such an amazing exposure.

I get the feeling you're also looking for a bit of a story behind the photos, so here goes:

I was lying in the sea fully clothed as the sun was beating down. The camera was exposed to the ocean spray caused by a fierce wind, and there was plenty of sand blowing around too. At one point I was completely submerged by a big wave, apart from a raised arm holding a scared camera. The reflection of the crab on the water could only be taken at the exact moment that the water had almost disappeared into the sand.. Timing was the key here..

This shot is a seascape, and as you know as a seascape photographer, seas are not normally flat, especially when there are clouds in the sky as clouds signal a weather front is on the way. I spotted this extremely rare weather combination - clouds and no wind... and jumped in my canoe and headed off towards a neigbouring island to get this pic.

Once or twice a year, on an extremely clear night during the summer in Sweden, the only clouds that are lit up are the ones that are very high up. If you climb up the rocks in the near darkness and take a long exposure, you will get this:

jose3344

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:56 pm

amoxtli

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:36 pm

Three from my PaD Gallery

Vernal Equinox Sunset at the Salk Institute

Two Babirusa get feisty

A tender moment after a tough swim to the beach in rough surf
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

pstubley

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:13 pm

Droplets often have decisive moments:

bclaypole

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:10 pm

"Forest Fire"

Actually train lights traveling through a tunnel. This may happen 1-2 times every night, but NO one is around to see it.
It's 14 hour drive from my house, 2 hour trek through the woods (no path either - straight through bush), set up camp/camera and have one attempt at the shot.

"Heart Attack"

Scouted this site for 3 years before there was enough snow for this shot - made it with only 5 minutes to spare!
They now routinely plow this line so won't see this scenario again :(

"Inside Out 2"

The fish only travel upstream once a year. I had a whole year to dream up this shot.

imorozoff

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:08 pm

luxun54

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:13 am

Last edited by luxun54 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gillk

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:21 am

Gill

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell 232nd Show & Tell Competition: Timing is everything