Board index PBase Show and Tell 241st S&T Competition: Personality/Identity

Show and Tell

241st S&T Competition: Personality/Identity

Announce and discuss your photos.
drr1531

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:35 pm

OK, I'm going to hate myself for this one when trying to pick a winner, but the theme for the next contest is photos that capture the personality of people/animals or the identity of inanimate objects/places. For places, if you post the obvious iconic images (for example statue of liberty for NYC) then it better have a different take, amazing light, etc. to show some creativity. Here are some examples with descriptions of how they fit the bill:

Eagles are all about the eyes. If you look at photos of eagles, they are just another bird if the eyes aren't captured well. The eyes are so intense and look so serious and indeed eagles always mean business, no playtime for them.

Here's one of my old dog, Maggie. That dog loved to run, no she lived to run.

OK, now here is one of your iconic shots without anything special. Portland Head, Maine is likely one of the most photographed lighthouses in the USA if not the world. You can see in this shot there is nothing special. Sure it says Maine all over it but it's just like a million other photos taken from the same viewing stand in the middle of the day.

This one, on the other hand, says Maine/Maritime Canada in a little more subtle fashion. Nowhere other than "down east" would you expect to see these traditional lobster traps.

OK, this one could cover a lot of ground so let's see what you've got!

Submissions will be closed on Sunday the 8th of July 2012 at 20:35:47 UTC

Posting Photos for a Contest
1. Photos must be hosted on pbase.com
2. Maximum of 3 photos per contest.
3. Photos must be embedded in your post. See the following link for how to do this http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=18022
4. Post only medium versions of your picture using the PB-Image button
5. The host is not eligible for their own contest.
6. Any picture you've taken is eligible, regardless of date taken and camera, as long as it hasn't already won another contest.
7. You can do all the post processing you want.

Winning and Running a Contest
1. If you enter the Show and Tell Contest, please note the closing date and be sure to check back to see if you won.
2. If you win the Show and Tell Contest and cannot run the next one, please notify the person running the contest immediately, so they can notify the second place winner.
3. If you decide to run the next contest, please post the new contest within 24 hours.
4. When the contest ends, please post the winners within 24-48 hours. (If you keep an eye on entries during the week, you will have a good idea of your favorites by the time the contest ends, and be able to more quickly post your winners.)
5. If you know you will not be able to post a contest, judge it, and post winners, within these timeframes, please do not start one. Instead, notify the person running the contest, so they can pass it on to the second place winner.
6. Pick first, second, and third place winners. You may include up to 5 honorable mentions.
7. Include these rules in the body of your contest.

Competition History available at viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42757

bclaypole

Re: Personality/Identity

Post Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:54 pm

My take of the Skytower in NZ. I went for a different view of NZ so this is the only shot I took of it.

A Wolf Centre. The Wolf can't see them... but he can hear them breathe!

100's of photographers all getting the same shot at a snowcross - sled in the air or coming out of the corner.
This one was from the base of a hill, when the rider in front accelerates down the hill, he shoots snow back up the hill... sometimes hitting the following rider. This is that moment.

towlett

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:10 am

This one sums up my son pretty well. Happy with a touch of mischievousness at the ready. The photo was taken right after a water gun skirmish.

The sign does most of the work but it perfectly describes the personality of this establishment and I like the composition and color in the photo, along with the nod to an iconic photography company in the background...

This one is of my daughter. It captures her personality and playful spirit.

gillk

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:02 am

Hotel Vancouver

Chambord

Gill

robinlew

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:08 am

cbladon

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:24 pm

pavona

Post Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:59 pm

[quote="robinlew"]
Love that shot of Florence.... when I was there, they had a big scaffolding and crane by the Campanile that would've been in your shot (it's in mine =P) nice to see an untarnished image.

chungsp

Re: 241st S&T Competition: Personality/Identity

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:58 am

surindersinghstudio

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:58 am

Surinder Singh (+91-9971008151)
Advertising, Fashion & Travel Photographer
New Delhi, India.
http://www.SinghStyleStudio.com

cits_4_pets

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:32 am

Enthusiastic Saydee

Blissful Jackson -

Last edited by cits_4_pets on Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

luxun54

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:23 am

Personality speaks (or eats)

Could it be anywhere other than where it is?

Eyes of Africa

emmelafoto

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:41 pm

Paris .... definitely!!!

My own country: flat, windy and bicycles everywhere:

He has personality!

Maaike

chasp

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:38 pm

OK Dan, I can take a direct challenge! :) You mentioned the Statue of Liberty in the opening post, so here is a different take. The statue in the foreground is called Liberation, and commemorates US soldiers liberating death camps in Nazi Germany at the end of WWII. It is located in Liberty State Park, NJ. The other statue is...well....the other statue. The inscription at the bottom of the photo denotes what I am attempting to portray.

Respectfully,
Chas

mclew

Post Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Next

Board index PBase Show and Tell 241st S&T Competition: Personality/Identity