Board index Photography Technical Questions Why are upload images softter than the originals?

Technical Questions

Why are upload images softter than the originals?

Discuss technical aspects of photography
pdavies

Why are upload images softter than the originals?

Post Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:10 pm

I have noticed that since I got a new laptop, which is one of Dell's better ones, my images look a lot softer than the originals that have been post processed in CS5. Any suggestions?

kaj_e

Re: Why are upload images softer than the originals?

Post Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:55 pm

To get the best results sharpen you images to the desired display size and view them at the same size at the web.

If you have pBase resize the images they will be softer as any image resized by your editing program. Sharpening a t the display size is essential.

Kaj E
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e

sannabill

Re: Why are upload images softter than the originals?

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:57 am

To get the best results sharpen you images to the desired display size and view them at the same size at the web.

Did that, mine are not sharp as originals either.

Anybody else have this problem or an answer?

Thanks in advance

thazooo

Post Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:25 pm

Try sharpening until the image is crispy. I do this when posting to web.

Dana

sannabill

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:13 am

Thank you but I'm thinking I save my sharpened images as JPEG quality 12 and they look fine. Yet when that same image is loaded and posted here, the full EXIF info displayed says they are only posted at JPEG quality 8. Is 8 as high as PBase posts even if uploaded at the 12 level? I think that might explain it as this is a BIG difference in quality. Any info on this would sure be appreciated. Pretty new to PBase, would really like to display photos at their best and feel I may not be uploading the proper way? Thanks.

Bill

thazooo

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Over time here I've changed images uploads. Now I try to keep images less than 100k. With my sharpening on Pbase images, I over sharpen on the final image size. Save at jpg 100% and then upload. Print outs would look horrid with the extra sharpening but look good on the web.

Dana

thazooo

Post Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:38 pm

P.S.

I took a quick look at your gallery, recent uploads. Your images look very nice on my screen, no lack of sharpness. I'm even using my family comp rather than my
photo processing comp and they look good.

Nice Shots !

Dana

Board index Photography Technical Questions Why are upload images softter than the originals?