Board index PBase Show and Tell 247th Show & Tell Competition: 1000 Word - WINNER

Show and Tell

247th Show & Tell Competition: 1000 Word - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
atucker

mardoli

Post Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:31 pm

247th Show & Tell Competion: 1000 Words - WINNER

First of all, thanks to all who participated. It is always a relief when I enter this contest and find I did not win. Winning means work. Work to select the next unique or at least seldom used topic. And, really hard work to choose the next winner and justify my choices to … myself. But in the end, the fame and all-night fan parties are worth it.

To restate the contest: 1000 Words: Show me something that makes me look, wonder and start to make up a story to fill in the blanks.

So in the ascending order of the number of words each image inspired:

Word count: Two
I looked. But no need to wonder or not many blanks to fill. Although short, it is still a great story and a fine capture. The B&W version really pops.

Word count: 500
The treatment in this image really focuses in on the subjects. What is he doing? Hiding his face in shame? Stopping the bleeding? What could he have done to deserve the look on her face? Or is she the culprit and he the victim?

Word count: 750
A well seen and composed image: the close-up tilted crop, the background, the girl’s expression. But the story is where she is urgently pointing. What is up the road? I hope you were not run over by a tuk-tuk just after the shutter click.

Word Count: 900
When I saw the thumbnail, I saw homelessness, hunger, shivering cold. I knew I would find a tale of hard times and someone taking shelter from it. I was happy to be wrong.

Word count: 1000 (WINNER)
"The tango is a direct expression of something that poets have often tried to state in words: the belief that a fight may be a celebration. " - Borges.

Admittedly, I had no idea who Borges was until your image compelled me to look him up. My first impression of this well composed story was it was someone’s Memory Lane. But what would cause them to abandon their tribute and walk up, away, and just outside the frame? Perhaps they heard Por una Cabeza. Or perhaps they rushed off to find a topic for the 248th Show & Tell topic.
Your turn Marisa.

fishit

Re: 247th Show & Tell Competition: 1000 Word - WINNER

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:29 am

Thanks for second place nod Tom, you had some very good pictures to choose, I am humbled.
Congrats to the winners ...

gillk

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:27 am

Great choices, especially your winner ! Congrats to all and I enjoyed your summary Tom
Gill

mardoli

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:18 am

I’m really very glad, Tom, that you liked my photo and I’m also happy it made you find out something about Jorge Luis Borges.
You had chosen a very intriguing and original theme for this competition and it has given us the chance to see many interesting and beautiful photos which might suggest a story, not only nice postcards.
Thank you!

I’ll post the new competition in a few hours; I need time to think over a little.

Best regards
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

robinlew

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:54 am

Thanks for the 5th place. Your other choices were great. Congratulations to them.

irislynx

Post Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:52 pm

Congrats to all the winners, Great photos!

terrybowker

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:11 pm

Congratulations to Marisa and all of the Winners!

Board index PBase Show and Tell 247th Show & Tell Competition: 1000 Word - WINNER