Board index PBase Show and Tell 274th Show & Tell Competition: The Background Story - WINNER

Show and Tell

274th Show & Tell Competition: The Background Story - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
gpmerfeld

clyne

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:08 am

Aloha Fellow Photographers!
I chose what I considered to be a little more difficult challenge for this week's contest, figuring that some would "get it" more than others, and perhaps I would not have too many outstanding images to consider, making the process of choosing the "winners" a little easier. Boy, was I wrong! Now I know why I sometimes hesitate to submit my own images, because if I was perhaps to win, the responsibility of running the next contest, and making those selections, is so very difficult. But it is an honor as well, and I must say that this has been the most difficult one for me, as so many outstanding images were presented. Even those that did not quite get the theme perhaps, still submitted absolutely wonderful images! And those that really did fit the theme were all so outstanding that is nearly impossible to choose one as the winner. Because of this, I am bending the format a bit and presenting Honorable Mentions as well as what I consider to be the top 5 images, though honestly, I could have chosen any one of them for top placement. So a heartfelt congratulations to ALL who submitted such great and unique images, attempting to provide "the rest of the story." Well done!

Honorable Mentions:

Terrific timing here, by Brad Claypole. I also loved the TV watching the kids image!

One of my very favorites, by Annelance, the perfect horse photo-bomb! Big smiles all around...

Outstanding blend of foreground and background, by Grompem, creating a wonderfully eerie sci-fi feel...

Such a stunning image by Bartosz, so difficult to achieve, with astounding results.

Truly great eye and terrific technique for beautiful rendering, by Ken Zaret.

Totally amazing miracle "fluke" by Nick Vivian, the result of perfect timing, position, clarity, surprise and chance. One of a kind!

Purely Zen simplicity and beauty here, so subtle in its relation to the theme, until I realized the importance of those clouds,forming a second background reflected in the background. Like that scene from Life Of Pi. Extraordinary, Dennis!

This is so perfectly seen, composed, and rendered by Robin Lew. Flowers arranged to reflect the painting is brilliant. And so is this rendering of the combination.

This is what I am talking about, and could have taken top honors as well, by Todd Owlett. That perfect serendipity, unplanned, where the background element personifies the foreground theme, creating a complete story in an image. Fantastic!

Perfectly simple and simply perfect, with a wink and a raised glass to Chasp!

This is so unique and fun, as were all three images posted by Marcel. I know that they are cows in the background, but when viewed at a smaller size, I swear it resembles a furry Tarantula in the BG, re-enhancing the central theme even more!

THE TOP 5
The top 5 are a mix of what I would call "Obvious" and "Story" oriented as they pertain to the theme of the contest. In some, there is signage in the Background, and in others there is a more subtle telling of the background story. One is really not better than any other, just uniquely different, and I congratulate you all !

5TH PLACE

A brilliant, moving, powerful image, so beautifully rendered by Maaike Huizer. A solemn story told, with the viewer's imagination supplying the details as well. Brilliant!

4TH PLACE

Bold and "obvious" and absolutely perfect for this theme! I have to say that this may be my "purely personal" favorite, just from the great feeling I get from it. Instant image gratification! Big smile to Carol for this wonderful shot.

3RD PLACE

Another story-teller, this image could have absolutely taken top spot, and I truly love it. The imagination it sparks in the viewer, the little details, the story potential, this is again what I had in mind in selecting this theme. It encourages you to look closely, and you know what I really love? The little paper cup! Consider yourself a winner, J Rayner, for this image is phenomenal!

2ND PLACE

Mirror mirror on the board! This is one incredible shot! And we must also know how incredibly difficult this was to pull off. My envious and heartfelt congratulations to you, Walter for your terrific skill and timing in creating this wonderful image...

1ST PLACE

Clyne, you did it! Be no less proud for being surrounded by other stunning images, as the pure perfection of yours must take the top nod for this theme. In fact, all three of your entries were outstanding, and this one pulls away for being a touch more artistic, and a touch more dangerous. Congratulations! I now turn the responsibility and the honor of running the next contest to your capable hands.

clyne

Re: 274th Show & Tell Competition: The Background Story - WINNER

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:48 am

Wow - thanks! Next competition coming up soon...

m_hauss

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:04 am

Great topic, a variety of stunning pictures and a deserving winner. Congratulations to Clyne and a special thanks to GP for a great contest and all the effort you took by chosing so many honorable mentions and a top 5. Even though I did not enter this time, I truely appreciate the work you put into this. Thanks! :-)

fishit

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:17 pm

GP thank you for running a super contest, good theme, a tough group to judge.
I appreciate the HR, congrats to all who entered and the winners.

kzaret

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:47 pm

Interesting topic and very thoughtful judging. Thanks for taking the time!

robinlew

Post Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:45 pm

Thank you for the honorable mention. Congratulations to the winners. I really appreciated all your extra efforts that went into your judging. I would hope that this sets an example to future judges.

larpman

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:36 am

Congratulations to all.

raynerj

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:30 am

thanks for 3rd, liked the subject

carol202

Post Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:46 pm

GP, Thanks for the 4th place and your outstanding comments. The comments you made on all the posts were wonderful. Congrats to all the winners!

amoxtli

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:47 pm

Many thanks for Second Place. Congratulations to all the participants. There were some great entries this time around.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

jojie_alcantara

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:57 pm

I so agree with m_hauss. We both weren't able to join this particular theme, but kudos to the beautiful winning entries and the thoughtful judging efforts of gpmerfield, who picked a great theme. You've set the standards now. :)
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

towlett

Post Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:58 pm

Thanks for the mention before the top honors. Many great photos and can't disagree about the top 5 and winning entry. :D

gpmerfeld

Post Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:17 am

Your comments are all sincerely appreciated! It really was an honor judging so many fine entries. Keep up the great work everyone! Aloha :D

Board index PBase Show and Tell 274th Show & Tell Competition: The Background Story - WINNER