Board index PBase Show and Tell 277th Show & Tell Competition: Going Wide - WINNER

Show and Tell

277th Show & Tell Competition: Going Wide - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
kzaret

bclaypole

Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:09 am

Whew! We had a lot of very well crafted and creative entries. Thank you! I was looking for a good wide angle effect, distortion a plus, and where there was a strong foreground element that tied together or contrasted with a clear background element. I subtracted points for over-saturation and HDR, though as you will see, a few crept into the finalists.

Finalists, starting with Honorable Mentions, in no particular order.

Walter O. Koenig, Downtown Los Angeles, 4th & Grand
I like how the use of wide angle distorted the urban skyscrapers into an abstract pattern, with the negative space of sky contrasting with the marble or cement buildings. This is a very well crafted image (for me).

Markus Grompe, Queensland Low Tide
Again, here the use of wide angle converted a seaside shot into an abstract view. The sea foam brings the eye upward, where now colors are brought into the image. If you look at the original view, there is a hint of late afternoon/morning sun tinting the foreground, which I also liked.

Bartosz Kotulski, Menlo Sunset, Ireland
This image had a lot of good rhythm for me, with the eye moving nicely between foreground and background. A bit over saturated for my taste, but clearly a carefully crafted image.

Another one from Bartosz:
The composition here is great. This fun image speaks for itself. Well done Bartosz!

Karin Doeling, Am Berndorfer-Tor-Platz
I have always shied away from fisheye images but I encourage you to look at Karin's gallery, from which this was taken. There are a lot of beautiful, creative shots. This one did such a nice job of bringing the foreground right up to your chin, and then into the image.

luxun54, Oregon Day, Haystack Rock
I like the colors and contrast of this image a lot. I am not generally a symmetry fan but felt that this image was nicely in the spirit of the context. Good job Luxun54!

Third Place:

Terry Bowker, Chicago on Ice
This is a great example of having a strong foreground component and a nicely contrasting background. It's what I aim for with ultra-wide angle shots. Plus, I imagine that Terry had to really exert effort to find the right composition on such a cold day at either sun-up or sundown, and he gets extra credits for that. The saturation level brought it down a notch, for my taste, but otherwise very well done! (I also liked Terry's cockpit shot)

Second Place:

Maaike Huizer
Here we have symmetry, which I already said I am not a fan of, but rules are meant to be broken, especially in photography! This shot just attracts the eye. In this case the foreground is somewhat abstract; the brown bar (table) left-to-right beneath the book, separating the book itself, whose open status draws you in, from the dark pants drawing you in to the feet. The colors in the book add a background element and the image is complex but clean. Well seen Maaike!

And the First Place Winner is...

Brad Claypole, Skater
Overall the simplicity of this image won it for me, despite that there are diverse elements to be seen. The shadow reflection defining the foreground, contrasting with the background scene and curling clouds in the sky, punctuated by the sun, all come together. I think what makes it work is the lack of clutter/negative space around the central figure, which gives the image more depth. Bravo, Brad! Your turn!

There were a lot of good shots that didn't make it here, but were appreciated.

Best regards to all,

Ken

terrybowker

Re: 277th Show & Tell Competition: Going Wide - WINNER

Post Sat May 11, 2013 6:55 am

Ken, Many THANKS for the Third Place! Fine collection of winners! Congratulations to Brad, Great choice for First Place!!!!

Terry :D

jlben

Post Sat May 11, 2013 7:45 am

Congrats to Brad and all the winners, great images!

emmelafoto

Post Sat May 11, 2013 8:39 am

Many tnx for 2nd place.
And well deserved winner. Congratulions.

Maaike

kade

Post Sat May 11, 2013 9:25 am

Congrats to Brad, Maaike and Terry, great photos! And thanks Ken for the Honorable Mention and the nice words about my fisheye-gallery.

Karin

fishit

Post Sat May 11, 2013 12:05 pm

All good choices, congrats to the winner and HM.

jojie_alcantara

Post Sat May 11, 2013 1:52 pm

Agree, wonderful shots and winners. Congrats to all. :D
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

amoxtli

Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Many thanks for the HM. Congrats to the Winners!
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

bclaypole

Post Sat May 11, 2013 2:37 pm

Thank you so much. Great honor being chosen among so many great entries.
I'll have the new contest up shortly.

luxun54

Post Mon May 13, 2013 3:18 am

Thanks for the HM... congrats to the winners!

Board index PBase Show and Tell 277th Show & Tell Competition: Going Wide - WINNER