Board index PBase Show and Tell 278th Show & Tell Competition: Elemental Movement - WINNER

Show and Tell

278th Show & Tell Competition: Elemental Movement - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
bclaypole

278th Show & Tell Competition: Elemental Movement - WINNER

Post Sat May 18, 2013 4:18 pm

Another contest... another difficult decision. Thanks to all that entered.

If you've seen my galleries, you know I love trains. Part of the problem with shooting trains is they look the same, standing still or at speed. Steam engines will give you all the extra clues you need to judge how fast and how hard are working. Diesel engines require something else, and being Canadian, access to snow is a blessing (and a curse!). Mix the two and, viola! Movement of a static subject.

Honorable Mentions

San Diego, California - Great colour contrasts

Duckling running on water - Nice conveyance of speed.

between strakes of cloud - Delicate ripples showing steady slow stalking

Firing a Volley - Timing is everything here. Great moment.

3rd place - Splashing Around - By drr1531

Really great capture using the water to provide the viewer with scale and the energy exerted by this fishing bear.
Added bonus of a clear face shot, not easily done in moments like this.

2nd Place - F-18 Hornet - By Juan Leon

I usually prefer a "Bam! in your face" environmental movement moment, but the subtlety of the vapor trail forming over the wing indicates the speed and force at which this jet is moving and keeps me staring at it in amazement.
The added bonus - shot with a background of water, unusual for a flight shot and the sailing ship in the background. Two very different uses of the wind!

1st Place - Battle of Britain - By Mark Schretlen

Dizzying! Without the trails, 3 planes in close proximity would be hair raising enough. With the smoke trails it shows you not only the intense congested airspace but the educates the viewer on the skill of these pilots and their ability to negotiate a 3D world!
The added bonus - the dissipating trails lets the viewer clearly see the flight patterns of each plane and allows them to insert the others not currently in the frame.

Over to you Mark.
Last edited by bclaypole on Sat May 18, 2013 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jojie_alcantara

Re: 278th Show & Tell Competition: Elemental Movement - WINNER

Post Sat May 18, 2013 6:41 pm

Congratulations to everyone. I love the first place winning shot. :)
"A photographer is nothing without his camera." - Eddie Cohen
http://www.kodakerdabawenya.com
http://www.pbase.com/jojie_alcantara

jlben

Post Sat May 18, 2013 8:12 pm

Thank you very much for the second place Brad! And congrats to Mark, great shot!

kodachrome

Post Sat May 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Wow! Thank you so much. To have placed so well amongst so many terrific entries, I am honored.

In all honesty, I have never deliberately looked for "elemental motion" in images. I guess the brain thinks "motion" but never questions why. Thanks to Brad for selecting this interesting theme.

For a little background on this image, "The Battle of Britain" was the finale performance of the Canadian aerobatic Snowbirds on BC Day, August 2011. Since I was a fair distance from ground zero for the show, I had selected a long lens for duration of the show. Most of the show exhibited precision formation flying along with the odd daredevil maneuver. As the Snowbirds went into this unexpected organized chaos right in front of me, I had no opportunity to switch to a shorter focal length capture the extent of this unusual aerial ballet. I shot away anyway. It was a memorable show and my best images of it turned out to be the "close-in" ones from the finale.

As a side note, my favorite image of all the entries was a runner-up, Sang Chung's "between strakes of clouds". Perhaps not as dynamic as other entries, but stunning nonetheless.

Now to decide a new theme for the Competition - stay tuned.

drr1531

Post Sat May 18, 2013 11:07 pm

Wow! Congrats to all the "finalists" and I loved the winning image too. Thanks for the podium finish :D

kzaret

Post Sun May 19, 2013 1:28 am

Interesting theme and great pics and winner!

chungsp

Post Sun May 19, 2013 5:02 am

Thanks for the HM and congratulations for the winners.

amoxtli

Post Sun May 19, 2013 1:46 pm

Thanks for the HM Brad. Congrats to the Winners. Lots of great entries this time around.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

nickviv

Post Mon May 20, 2013 11:58 am

cheers Brad.. I thought mono-skier might clinch it, but nice to see speedy duckling up there...

Congrats to winners.. !

loving that dreamy Heron shot..

kade

Post Mon May 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Congrats to the winners and all HM!

Karin

sandiwhi

Post Mon May 20, 2013 9:56 pm

Great subject, Brad, and excellent entries. Congrats to the winners and thanks so much for the HM!

gillk

Post Mon May 20, 2013 10:47 pm

That was a fun subject - love that winning shot - congrats to all winners.
gill

gpmerfeld

Post Tue May 21, 2013 6:31 am

A beautifully run contest by Brad, both educational and fun, and filled with so many wonderful images. Congrats to all!

Board index PBase Show and Tell 278th Show & Tell Competition: Elemental Movement - WINNER