Board index PBase Show and Tell 289th Show & Tell Competition: People Working in Their Environment - WINNER

Show and Tell

289th Show & Tell Competition: People Working in Their Environment - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
kzaret

289th Show & Tell Competition: People Working in Their Environment - WINNER

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:13 am

Contest topic: People Working in Their Environment

The images that had their greatest impact were those that clearly depicted a person's face and their level of involvement with their work. Still, as you will see, a few of the environmental components of the images held interest as well. There were many excellent entries and thanks to all contestants.

Honorable mentions:

Inside Potter's Shop by Vijay
This image was almost a winner. The natural light, narrow depth of field, and composition are all top notch. However I didn't get as much of a sense of emotion from the image as from the three top images. Certainly, some of the readers will disagree, but there you go.

Teaching the Youth by Chasp
The facial expressions are great in this image. The background elements to the left were distracting to me, but the image is solidly in the domain I was looking for.

The Mechanic by Walter Koenig
The man's face says it all as he adds "just the right amount" of oil. However the crop and lighting weren't as good for me, though the old-time exposure adds to the overall feel of the image.

I am including three shots where you can't really see the person's face, but the environment is captivating:

Pipe Cutter by Arnie Peterschmidt
I like the action and how well the image depicts the proximity of danger to these workers. Also, a long time ago I cut and welded metal, so this one strikes home!

Old Timer Panning Gold by Markus Grompe
The image nicely depicts the man slowly panning for gold along a beautiful river.

American Cowboy by Suzanne Matthia
This could be a painting. A beautiful slice of life, nicely rendered on a snowy, cloudy day. As good as possible with less-than-ideal light conditions.

And the winners are...

Third Place: Olive Lady by Gill Kopy
This image is not lit as well as the other winners, but it does an awesome job of capturing the woman at her work, while her mind is far away. I also like the composition, as the empty space to the left emphasizes her gap in attention to the market.

Second Place: Street Violin Player by Maaike Huizer
A beautifully rendered image, nicely going from sharp to blur, and depicting the man's emotions as he plays his music, whether or not anyone is listening. The repeating elements of shadows and columns bring you into the image, listening to his song.

First Place: Navajo Silversmith by Suzanne Matthia
To my eye, this is a fine photograph. The image is sharp, the concentration of the man is evident, and, despite the tools, there is an air of mystery about exactly what he is doing, accentuated by the smoke. The brightness of the hammer is a bit of a distraction, but overall the lighting, particularly on the man's face, is just right. It's a bit of an unusual crop, perhaps to reduce clutter, but I feel that this image brings us the closest to a person and the environment in which they work.

Suzanne, congratulations and the baton is passed to you!
Last edited by kzaret on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peterschmidtab

Re: 289th Show & Tell Competition: People Working in Their Environment - WINNER

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:13 am

Congratulations to Suzanne and the other winners, well done. Thank you Ken for the HM and an excellent theme.
Arnie

gillk

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:39 am

Thanks so much Ken for the 3rd place :) and congrats to all winners and HM's. A great topic.
Gill

ellisonphotography

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:15 am

Congratulations to all winners!

terrybowker

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:01 am

Congratulations to all! Nice contest and great selection of winners!

Terry

fishit

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:04 am

All good choices Ken, the choice explanations are always helpful, congrats to the winners.

azicit

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:04 pm

Thanks so much for the honorable mention and the first place vote!! This crop was purely and artistic choice to focus and direct the viewers eye. I have no fear of cropping. The primary purpose of an image is the message it conveys and through the proper crop if it’s conveyed strongly, is more effective toward the final composition.Cropping and composition and understanding how one affects the other are tools i use toward creating an interesting image. I try to compose and crop to emphasize all the important elements in the image.

I totally agree with the hammer brightness I will see if I can improve this with some updated post processing. The midday light was pouring in through the roof of this man hogan directly on the hammer! Your review and comments are appreciated and very helpful.

Now I will get my thinking cap on for a new contest theme that I will post later today!

amoxtli

Post Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks for the HM, Congratulations to the Winners and to all who participated. Some great entries for this well chosen topic.
Regards, Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

emmelafoto

Post Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:22 pm

Thank you for 2nd place. You have selected some wonderful images!!!
Congratulations to the winner.
Maaike

Board index PBase Show and Tell 289th Show & Tell Competition: People Working in Their Environment - WINNER