Board index PBase Show and Tell 296th Show & Tell Competition: Maritime - WINNER

Show and Tell

296th Show & Tell Competition: Maritime - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
amoxtli

allen_hart

Post Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:26 pm

Once again, there were many worthy images posted this time around, making it very difficult for me to make a choice. There was a lot of variety too,which I was hoping would be the case. I continue to be amazed at the quality of images participants come up with for the S&T Competitions.
First the honorable mentions which are in no particular order.

David - I like this shot of the rigging with this perspective and depth of field. Well chosen focus point and very effective in black and white.

Dennis - I like the focal length and placement of the ferry in the frame. And who can resist a ship appearing out of the fog? Nice with the line of trees in the background and another layer of cloud / fog on top.

Chasp - This image of what I presume are commuters going to work was most intriguing. I liked the expressions of the commuters in the lead boat and the two following boats in the frame. Again, nice use of depth of field and the view of the modern city in the background at the start of the day is very good.

Third Place: Gerrit - The moodiness of this image is wonderful, as is the placement of the fully rigged ship in the frame. Really emphasizes the loneliness and vastness of the sea. Very nice lighting and colors.

Second Place: Bartosz - The clartiy of the reflections and the dramatic sky in the background are instantly noticeable, but it is the detail of both the bark and the buildings that I really found fascinating. They become almost meshed together, creating a juxtaposition.

First Place: Allen - An amazing action shot with the boat in midair. The power of the water and the danger the boater is in with the jagged rocks from this perspective are awesome. Excellent timing too. You don't get many chances at this, but you nailed it and so congratulations, you choose the next theme.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

ddecroix

Re: 296th Show & Tell Competition: Maritime - WINNER

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:04 am

Thanks a lot for the HM Walter!!
Congrats to the winners and participants it was a really enjoyable challenge.

All the best.
Dave

nickviv

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:55 am

Walter - I am just going to say what everyone else is thinking....
How does a picture of a river win a maritime competition ?
A picture of a neck would not win a portrait competition...

tks

:?

fishit

296th Show & Tell Competition: Maritime - WINNER

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks for the mention Walter, congrats to all the winners.
This only 1937 river paddle wheeler is one the Ohio river Maritime legends.

vneilknobbe

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:05 am

nickviv wrote:Walter - I am just going to say what everyone else is thinking....

tks

From Walters origial post to peing the Maritime competition.

"I will be looking for images relating to all types of ships and boats, whether they are on the sea, in harbors, on rivers, lakes, ponds or dry land. Any types of related maritime instruments, accessories, models, etc. are also good, the more creative, the better."

Going from the quote above the winning photograph falls within the bounds that Walter set out for the competition. (In my eyes anyway.)

amoxtli

Post Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:32 pm

vneilknobbe wrote:
nickviv wrote:Walter - I am just going to say what everyone else is thinking....

tks

From Walters origial post to peing the Maritime competition.

"I will be looking for images relating to all types of ships and boats, whether they are on the sea, in harbors, on rivers, lakes, ponds or dry land. Any types of related maritime instruments, accessories, models, etc. are also good, the more creative, the better."

Going from the quote above the winning photograph falls within the bounds that Walter set out for the competition. (In my eyes anyway.)

Knowing that many Pbasers do not live near the Ocean, or may not have access, or any photos, I wrote the quote above. In retrospect the title of the Competition "Maritime" was misleading, as "Maritime is primarily an adjective that describes objects or activities related to the sea." For this I apologize, but the description clearly stated: "all types of ships and boats, whether they are on the sea, in harbors, on rivers, lakes, ponds or dry land."
Best, Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

allen_hart

Post Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:15 am

Walter,

Thanks for choosing my photo. It is always exciting when other photographers make positive comments on my work.

I enjoy this forum very much because there are so many excellent photos in every competition. I want to thank all the participants who share their work. It is very educational to see the many creative ways you all find to capture the many show and tell themes in your photographs.

If you had simply said that the theme was "Maritime" I would not have included this picture as an entry. But since you did include the specific instructions that you highlighted, I decided to include the Flying Over the Falls entry.

I'm deciding on a theme for the next competition and will post it soon.

--allen

Board index PBase Show and Tell 296th Show & Tell Competition: Maritime - WINNER