Board index PBase Questions and Answers Members drifting away?

Questions and Answers

Members drifting away?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
jcdefreitas

Re: Members drifting away?

Post Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:34 pm

amoxtli wrote:Lots of complaints and questions on this thread, but no answers. Best to have an alternative, just in case. At least we can stay in touch. Here is a link to the PBase expatriate site on 500px:

https://500px.com/groups/pbase-members/members

I agree with what has been said here and YES, I've joined 500px. http://www.500px.com/jcdefreitas I find at 500px offers something that PBase does not lately; changes, updates, communicates, fast, etc. I have been a member of PBase since 2004 and enjoyed very much being part of the PBase community but lately I have seen many members frustrated with the services that they are getting from PBase.
So, I'm seriously thinking that I may not be renewing my membership. :evil: :x

madlights

Post Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:01 am

Out of curiosity I clicked on the names of a few of the photographers who commented on some of my photos. Quite a few who were very active, have not posted photos in a couple of years.

dltphotography

Post Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:37 am

paulsilkphotography wrote:Been with them since 2004 and just had the automated notice to renew, I do not think I will be renewing. Just like the owners Emily and Slug I to cannot be bothered any more.

I also just received the automated notice to renew. It would be due the beginning of November. When I checked my records, I paid in February of 2016. So, my paid one year of service now seems to be less than one year.

dw_thomas

Post Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:50 pm

dltphotography wrote:
paulsilkphotography wrote:Been with them since 2004 and just had the automated notice to renew, I do not think I will be renewing. Just like the owners Emily and Slug I to cannot be bothered any more.

I also just received the automated notice to renew. It would be due the beginning of November. When I checked my records, I paid in February of 2016. So, my paid one year of service now seems to be less than one year.

Have you perchance gone above a magic threshhold worth of storage? They are certainly less than clear these days about what that number is -- one help screen says 800 MB, the price page says 1GB, yet I seem to show a deduction of one month credit per month lately and have around 1.6 GB which makes me wonder if it's quietly become 2GB chunks.

Anyway, the purchase is sort of X many 'storage-unit-months' of credits, and the monthly deduction is based on current usage rounded up to the next integer storage-unit level. That storage-unit number was about 200MB back in 2004 or so and has slowly wandered upward over the years, and I thought of late it was 1GB, but it seems less than obvious what the official number is today.

DaveT

fishit

Post Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:26 am

It is sad management chose not to care much about the website. I am sure it was not worth much to sell.
So they keep it open since it takes little time and likely pays for itself and a profit for the owners.
The website will hang around till it is no long worth the money and time being the main factors.

jeanb wrote:Depressing isn't it. I was a supporter in the early years, saw it through it's teething problems and made a lot of friends. Now there are few left, I get scarcely any visits, but darn it - I still like the joint!

longbachnguyen

Post Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:13 am

I am still here on Pbase and do have 500px, flickr but I find it's not the same. 500px there are more images with way too much hdr or over saturate colors or over process. I appreciated Pbase photographers for their natural or not over process images which are very enjoyable to view. The friendship on Pbase is great...easy to communicate with other photographers. I have met up with so many other pbase photographers from my travel across the country or the world. I am too frustrated with management for not caring about their site. It's a great site and hate to lose all the friends I have made since 2006. I hope management will change their view about taking care of their website.

sasaferrato

Post Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:07 pm

richo wrote:
bassrock wrote:Is it my imagination or are there fewer pictures being uploaded these days?
I suspect that since the upload problems a couple of months ago, many members have been drifting away from this site.
I know my daily hits have been declining. Although I don't trust the accuracy of the hit counter, I do think the trend is downwards.
And there are fewer pictures on PAD. The gallery shows about 16 pages of pictures but not many people are uploading daily. Looking at the 18th of Feb, only about 50 to 60 pictures were uploaded to PAD. I am not criticising anyone, and I have been tempted to give up myself and it becomes harder as fewer people are involved.
I do so wish the owners and admin would show a bit more enthusiasm themselves, and engage with their supporters and subscribers, and breath some new life into the site.
I have looked at alternatives but prefer the PBase layout, but I fear this site is slowly running out of steam :(

I just paid for another year and mainly because I have used the site for image linking. Also over the years have worked my way up to the top on Google search. However, I am already moving my images to a cloud storage with CDN. That will improve performance and allow me to reuse the image in my own sites. I just wish the owners would honor those of us who have been here from the very early days and gave support $$ even when it was not required. A post here or an email or even a service message would show that they are even still here and care. Sometimes I wonder if they still even own the site. Does anyone personally know them and if they are even alive?

The only message you get, is the one telling you payment is due.

northstar37

Post Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:01 pm

I'll be here till the end I suppose. It inspired me to become a better photographer and I still like to upload.

Fewer people are using desktop pcs now maybe that is why fewer are looking. It is a bit trickier to navigate with a phone.

cami
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:14 am

PBase is an ever-changing, ever-growing company. We are dedicated to making this site great and listening closely to what our users need and want from us. For this reason, we have been working diligently behind-the-scenes to bring you double protection when it comes to your photos. We have set up multiple back-up systems and also beefed up our servers in order to meet the needs of our client base. We also have additions and improvements in the works. Please stay tuned. We will be changing and growing with you and look forward to what the future has in store!

Thanks!
~Cami~
PBase Admin

reticulatus

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:45 am

Thank you Cami. This is an unexpected, but very welcome sign that Pbase could have a future. I am looking forward to hearing more details of your plans.

northstar37

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:28 am

Good to hear!

dw_thomas

Post Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:29 pm

Well I'll be doggoned -- that's a welcome surprise!

Thank you Cami.

DaveT

richo

Post Tue Nov 08, 2016 3:36 pm

dw_thomas wrote:Well I'll be doggoned -- that's a welcome surprise!

Thank you Cami.

DaveT

I nearly dropped my tablet when I saw this. How long has it been since we have seen an admin post? Really great news!
There's even a post from Emily: http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 6a44c81387

hanswortel

Post Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Good to hear that Pbase still exists. Welcome Cami.

cami
PBase Admin
PBase Admin

Post Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:17 am

I am glad to be here and look forward to helping everyone on their PBase journey. I am dedicated to making sure your questions are answered. If I cannot answer them, I will definitely find you the answers, or direct the questions to the right department. 1-2-3-CHEESE! Let's take some photos!

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Members drifting away?