Board index PBase Questions and Answers EASY Way To Make All Photos Private?

Questions and Answers

EASY Way To Make All Photos Private?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
schutze

EASY Way To Make All Photos Private?

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Is there an easy way to make my entire PBase account private and non-public?

I want to lower my name visibility on Internet in general and my pbase photos are what elevates me in google searches the most.

I would prefer NOT to delete all my images and my accounts, but I would like to make everything non-public and unavailable for linking by all the search engines. I want to interrupt all the old links that others have splattered all over Internet that lead back to my galleries and photos.

Is there one single master switch to make my accounts here private storage rather than public galleries?

richo

Re: EASY Way To Make All Photos Private?

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:24 pm

schutze wrote:Is there an easy way to make my entire PBase account private and non-public?

I want to lower my name visibility on Internet in general and my pbase photos are what elevates me in google searches the most.

I would prefer NOT to delete all my images and my accounts, but I would like to make everything non-public and unavailable for linking by all the search engines. I want to interrupt all the old links that others have splattered all over Internet that lead back to my galleries and photos.

Is there one single master switch to make my accounts here private storage rather than public galleries?

The only way I know is to edit each gallery and uncheck make this gallery public, but I think if someone has a link to an image the image still show unless each image is unchecked to make it private.

Update: I tested with one of my "other" galleries that is not password protected. If I uncheck the box to make the gallery private and then go to a browser session where I am not logged in, I can still access an image in that gallery which is now private. But if I try the same thing with a password protected gallery, I cannot access the image.

So you can make all of your galleries private, but any image already link will still be visible or anyone who has a link to an image can access it. You would have to make all galleries password protected and then none of your images in those galleries would be visible without the password except you when logged in.

akmc_in_au

Post Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:37 pm

schutze wrote:Is there an easy way to make my entire PBase account private and non-public?

{Cough...} the way PBase's search results are falling off a cliff that problem should resolve itself eventually.

I would suggest that you put a passkey on your root gallery, with "Add to Sub-Galleries" checked. See this image for its location in the drag and drop editing view. Some of your results will probably be cached for a while, but this too shall pass. (In any case there's nothing that you can do about it as cached results are on Google's servers, not PBase's.)

schutze

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:09 pm

Thinking about "Reverse SEO" tactics ....

1. changing the names of galleries will interrupt years-old links around Internet from accessing my photos without using a passkey, right?

Can I change the account name with which I originally signed up with Pbase? (schutze)
4. I've already changed my nametag, country, and deleted my URL in "Public Information" account settings.

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:06 pm

schutze wrote:Thinking about "Reverse SEO" tactics ....

1. changing the names of galleries will interrupt years-old links around Internet from accessing my photos without using a passkey, right?

I can see where you're going with that, but I don't think that will work for you in this case. One of the really nice things about PBase is the way it does hierarchical galleries. And it is true that a "standard" site does use separate folders (directories) to implement a hierarchical structure. However PBase doesn't; it would be impossible to manage if it did. For example my Tuscany gallery sits under my Italy gallery, which sits under my root gallery. However from the viewer's point of view (including viewers who are indexing bots) the gallery page is just: http://www.pbase.com/akmc_in_au/toscana_firenze; no mention of root, no mention of Italy. The "path" that represents my hierarchy is simply defined in the back end database as links between the various records that represent the galleries and images. So if I change the name of it (which I believe is just an alias to an ID code anyway, but that's neither here nor there) then the only thing that gets broken is the link to that specific gallery page. More importantly if I changed the name of the Italy gallery, that would not in any way affect the path to the Tuscany one (or its URL path) either.

More importantly still, if you look at the individual images you'll see that there is no reference to the gallery at all; it's just http://www.pbase.com/image/{IDNumberOfImage}. The images are pulled straight from where they are in the database. This allows the images to be "in" multiple galleries at a time. (Though I never do that because there is one glitch in it; if a single image is in both gallery A and gallery B and a viewer is scrolling through gallery B they sometimes hit Next and find themselves redirected to gallery A.) That's is just an aside, though; the key point is that the search engines have indexed the path to the photo, and that path does not go through your galleries. Accordingly changing the name of the gallery does not affect the link path that has been stored by the search engine.

It's actually a pretty inspired piece of web design to be honest; it makes most of the links on PBase quite robust and less prone to the link rot that plagues companies who don't think more than 3 months ahead and reorganise their websites on a regular basis so that you can never get back to anything quickly. (I'm looking at you, Canon Australia.) Normally it works really, really well... but in an "outside the envelope" case like yours it has some downside since you actually want your links to rot. Most people wouldn't.

schutze wrote:Can I change the account name with which I originally signed up with Pbase? (schutze)

I don't believe so. If you take a look on your Update Account page you'll see that it's not an editable field. You can change your display name; for example I signed up as akmc_in_au but changed to "Alan K", but the path to my profile is still http://www.pbase.com/akmc_in_au/profile. If you could change the name it could only be done by the PBase Admins and if they have that used as the actual key field in the table they may not be able to either.You can ask; whether you get a reply is a bit of random chance these days unfortunately.

richo

Post Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:30 pm

schutze wrote:

Going back to your question and linking. You can turn off direct linking, but that will not turn off the ability of someone to use a link to an image on a website using the anchor tag. It just turns off using the img image tag. See: http://www.pbase.com/help/linking

amoxtli

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:13 pm

You're all over the internet when I search by your real name and the city where you live. PBase happened to be the top two hits in the search, but there was lots of other stuff from different sites. So, eliminating PBase in the search is not going to lower your visibility much.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

richo

Post Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:52 pm

amoxtli wrote:

You're all over the internet when I search by your real name and the city where you live. PBase happened to be the top two hits in the search, but there was lots of other stuff from different sites. So, eliminating PBase in the search is not going to lower your visibility much.

If you are trying to hide that one particular gallery, as pointed out it is referenced many times on other sites. I now remember seeing your posts on another photography review site. If pbase.com is the only place where you have posted images then as mentioned before your best bet is to password protect the galleries you do not want to show up, this will in effect stop linking and access to any images. However, if someone was smart enough they could still find those images through various caching and archival sites. Once public on the Internet it is virtually impossible to remove all traces of something. You might make it tough for the average person, but not for those who know how to find the information.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers EASY Way To Make All Photos Private?