Board index PBase Show and Tell 498th Show & Tell Competition: Hidden Treasures in Your Region

Show and Tell

498th Show & Tell Competition: Hidden Treasures in Your Region

Announce and discuss your photos.
gwd

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:28 am

Let’s show our pride in our local attractions, landmarks and cultural heritage. I live in Lethbridge in southern Alberta, Canada; it seems so often we overlook our own local features as tourism draws.
For example, while we have the well-known Banff and the Great Rocky Mountains, the Calgary Stampede,
and in Lethbridge we can also boast about The Galt Railway Museum in Stirling, our Downtown Rotary Spray Park and Sumer Festivals, Fort Whoop-up and the High Level Bridge(100 years old in '09 when they actually "lit the Bridge" for holidays ), Nikka Yuko Japanese Garden (which they now light up for December, January weekends), Hoodoo’s and Coulees and Writing-on-stone Park as shown in these examples

So let’s see you brag a little about some often overlooked treasures that you would like to share with people here; invite us to come visit and experience.

Show us your stuff! ~gwd

Posting Photos for a Contest
1. Photos must be hosted on pbase.com
2. Maximum of 3 photos per contest.
3. Photos must be embedded in your post. See the following link for how to do this viewtopic.php?t=18022
4. Post only medium versions of your picture using the PB-Image button
5. The host is not eligible for their own contest.
6. Any picture you've taken is eligible, regardless of date taken and camera, as long as it hasn't already won another contest.
7. You can do all the post processing you want.

Winning and Running a Contest
1. If you enter the Show and Tell Contest, please note the closing date and be sure to check back to see if you won.
2. If you win the Show and Tell Contest and cannot run the next one, please notify the person running the contest immediately, so they can notify the second place winner.
3. If you decide to run the next contest, please post the new contest within 24 hours.
4. When the contest ends, please post the winners within 24-48 hours. (If you keep an eye on entries during the week, you will have a good idea of your favorites by the time the contest ends, and be able to more quickly post your winners.)
5. If you know you will not be able to post a contest, judge it, and post winners, within these timeframes, please do not start one. Instead, notify the person running the contest, so they can pass it on to the second place winner.
6. Pick first, second, and third place winners. You may include up to 5 honorable mentions.
7. Include these rules in the body of your contest.

Submissions will be closed on Sunday the 13th of January 2019 at 3:28:13 UTC

Posting Photos for a Contest
1. Photos must be hosted on pbase.com
2. Maximum of 3 photos per contest.
3. Photos must be embedded in your post. See the following link for how to do this http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?t=18022
4. Post only medium versions of your picture using the PB-Image button
5. The host is not eligible for their own contest.
6. Any picture you've taken is eligible, regardless of date taken and camera, as long as it hasn't already won another contest.
7. You can do all the post processing you want.

Winning and Running a Contest
1. If you enter the Show and Tell Contest, please note the closing date and be sure to check back to see if you won.
2. If you win the Show and Tell Contest and cannot run the next one, please notify the person running the contest immediately, so they can notify the second place winner.
3. If you decide to run the next contest, please post the new contest within 24 hours.
4. When the contest ends, please post the winners within 24-48 hours. (If you keep an eye on entries during the week, you will have a good idea of your favorites by the time the contest ends, and be able to more quickly post your winners.)
5. If you know you will not be able to post a contest, judge it, and post winners, within these timeframes, please do not start one. Instead, notify the person running the contest, so they can pass it on to the second place winner.
6. Pick first, second, and third place winners. You may include up to 5 honorable mentions.
7. Include these rules in the body of your contest.

Competition History available at http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=42757
Last edited by gwd on Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

stevemaz

Re: 498th Show & Tell Competition: Hidden Treasures in Your Region

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:44 am

Lake Mungo where one of the oldest human skeletons (42000 years old) was found. It's "hidden" because of its remoteness so not many people venture there.

Recently build civic centre in my susburb, architecture reflecting heritage of local aboriginies and modern civic functions, incredibly inspiring place.

Sherbrooke Forest, Victoria, Australia is 15 min away from my house. Home to one of the weirdest birds in the world that can mimic various sounds like other birds, as well as sounds made by machinery like chainsaw or mobile phone ring tones. Very difficult to photograph because it's timid and lives in dark dense bush. Still chasing better shot:)

cits_4_pets

Post Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:15 am

This labyrinth was constructed a couple of years ago in the Rossmoor community, ...many residents don't know about it and such a relaxing place.
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

luxun54

Post Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:22 am

Early winter morning from the lakeside dock at my weekend house

An osprey over the lake, shot handheld from the deck

The classic old train station at Point of Rocks, MD

gillk

Post Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:40 am

Having just moved to the Vernon, B.C. area, I'm discovering "treasures" everywhere :)

The Mystic Trail to Mabel Lake enhanced by local artists:

The lovely little park in Vernon, Polson Park:

and some wonderful old heritage houses:

Gill

amoxtli

Post Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:43 pm

Lake Murray at Sunrise

Lily Pond, Balboa Park

Sunrise at Seaport Village

Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

peterschmidtab

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:28 am

I live on Whidbey Island in Washington State. The surrounding waters where Puget Sound and the Strait of Juan de Fuca meet dominate the region. The orca whales are resident symbols of these waters. They are large, graceful, intelligent and powerful animals and I am fortunate to glimpse them from time to time.

Deception Pass is a narrow waterway bounded by forested hills and cliffs between Fidalgo and Whidbey Islands. The Pass is subject to swift and ever changing tidal currents and is very scenic. The Deception Pass Bridge links Whidbey Island to Fidalgo Island and the main land and provides locals and tourists alike a spectacular view point.

The Garry Oak is the only oak native to western Washington. The region is dominated by evergreen forest and there are only a few small areas where the oaks prevail. I find them interesting because their form and deciduous nature are in such contrast to the evergreens.

lambsfeathers

Post Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:14 pm

You say "Hidden Treasures in my Region" and immediately I think "Tasmania". Hidden, because Tasmania is a long way from most places in the world, and these particular patches of water are not easily accessible. You can't visit them by bus. These places are 1000 Km from where I sit now, but people like me who have lived in Tasmania tend to still think of themselves as Tasmanian years later; the sentiment sticks, so these treasures still count as in my region.

Bathurst Harbour, Southwestern Tasmania

Lake Osborne, Hartz Mountains National Park, Tasmania

Lake Dobson, Mount Field National Park, Tasmania
Last edited by lambsfeathers on Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

cits_4_pets

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:28 pm

A little known labyrinth, was not until I had pix published that many residents learned about this place. A hidden gem of a relaxing place. Early AM shot.

First visit to the then new labyrinth in the evening as the sun sets, a buck had stopped by...felt it was a magical moment!
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

sylvester

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:17 am

Rockport State Park, 2 hrs. from Seattle

mclew

Post Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:38 am

The Wave Organ at the San Francisco Yacht Harbor, where you can hear strange sounds through the large tubes when the surf cooperates. The Wave Organ is made of granite and marble grave markers and tombs left behind when the cemeteries of San Francisco were relocated in the early 20th century.

Ano Nuevo State Park beach, south of San Francisco where elephant seals congregate to breed. Guided walks through the dunes allow visitors to get fairly close to the huge seals and hear their unusual calls.

In July, Flower Piano 12 days of pianos in the San Francisco Botanical Gardens, free to play yourself or hear others, performances by professional musicians too. Music as you walk through the different gardens.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 498th Show & Tell Competition: Hidden Treasures in Your Region