Board index Equipment Film Cameras Please help! What kind of camera should I buy?

Film Cameras

Please help! What kind of camera should I buy?

nobeefmoreef

Please help! What kind of camera should I buy?

Post Wed May 04, 2005 7:37 pm

Hello, I have recently become facinated with photography, but I don't even own a camera. I decided on a budget of $1000-1500 for a new camera (my thinking was that I could learn on a nice new camera and not have to upgrade in the future) however after reading some of the posts on this website about starting with a used manual-only camera, I am a bit confused now. I am pretty much set on a film camera...it seems more interesting to me.

I would love some advice on a good base camera and lenses, I was leaning towards a canon or nikon, but i'm open to suggestions. Should I buy new or used? Oh, I am considering taking a class, but if i don't should I get a camera with automatic focus...obviously I need help! Thanks for any advice!!!

ernstulrich

Post Thu May 05, 2005 12:18 am

At this year's PMA (Photo Marketing Asso.) convention for the lst time in it's history NO 35mm Film Cameras were announced.

I'd highly recommend the new Canon Digital Xi. You'll love the learning curve since your just starting out and it should give you excellent photo quality.

Ernst

jim_panzee

Post Thu May 05, 2005 9:03 am

This question has been raised several times, and produces varying answers based on peoples preferences for different kinds of medium, some like film and some like the all singing all dancing digital medium, but there is more to photography than pointing a camera in the general direction of your subject and pressing the shutter release.
I would suggest reading a couple of good books, joining a class and then make your mind up where you are going to blow you hard earned cash.
If you want a camera now, why not go for a good used early 70s manual SLR something like a Pentax K1000 or Olympus OM1 or 2, (have a look at some of the pictures taken with these cameras on Pbase camera data base), you will only need one lens to start with a 50mm f/1.4 or 2.8 would take care of all the shots you are likely to take. You can pick these up second hand from any good camera shop or from friends for 100 Dollars or so and they will give you a good grounding in setting up and composing your shots, (Automatic focus is only for people with bad eyesight who can’t focus manually).
One last tip, no matter which camera you buy, always take someone who knows about cameras and you trust with you.

JimP.
JimP.

"So little time, so much to do, so many places to visit".

ernstulrich

Post Thu May 05, 2005 3:06 pm

Good advice Jim, A good manuel camera is one way to start and the K1000 is highly recommend. But, if it was me with the knowledge I have after photographing for close to 30 years now, this is not the direction I would offer.

Today's technology would allow the newcomer a much faster learning curve than the old film base manuel camera's. Unless of course you really want to learn working in a Wet Darkroom, start with developing your own B&W films, etc. etc.

Photography is about learning to see. Ya, ya, ya we need to learn other things also, but seeing is what makes an image. I really could care less what fstop, shutter speed combination, tripod used, the camera your using, etc. Show me the image and that always tells me the truth about you and your photography.

(Automatic focus is only for people with bad eyesight who can’t focus manually). Now that's alot of bullshit!!!!!! I use both at different times and Auto Focus is quite helpfully to me as a professional photographer.

Best regards, Ernst

jim_panzee

Post Thu May 05, 2005 4:41 pm

ernstulrich wrote:Good advice Jim, A good manuel camera is one way to start and the K1000 is highly recommend. But, if it was me with the knowledge I have after photographing for close to 30 years now, this is not the direction I would offer.

Today's technology would allow the newcomer a much faster learning curve than the old film base manuel camera's. Unless of course you really want to learn working in a Wet Darkroom, start with developing your own B&W films, etc. etc.

Photography is about learning to see. Ya, ya, ya we need to learn other things also, but seeing is what makes an image. I really could care less what fstop, shutter speed combination, tripod used, the camera your using, etc. Show me the image and that always tells me the truth about you and your photography.

(Automatic focus is only for people with bad eyesight who can’t focus manually). Now that's alot of bullshit!!!!!! I use both at different times and Auto Focus is quite helpfully to me as a professional photographer.

Best regards, Ernst

See what I mean about varying answers. Image

JimP.
JimP.

lobito

Re: Please help! What kind of camera should I buy?

Post Thu May 05, 2005 8:07 pm

Good advice Jim, I think thats the best option too. If are strating taking pictures, dont buy a digital, you will never understand how the thing works.
lobito, from bs as argentina

llung

Post Fri May 06, 2005 3:40 am

I totally agree with Jim's comments. I own two Olympus OM bodies, and they're fantastic cameras on which to learn exposure and composition. The viewfinders on these cameras are among the largest I've seen, and - as Jim pointed out - you can pick them up for next to nothing. I've seen OM-1 bodies sell on ebay for as little as 60 bucks, and you can get a standard 50mm f1.8 for under $20. It's small but built like a rock, and because it cost so little, you'll have no qualms about just throwing it into the bottom of your bag.

The K1000 is also an excellent camera, but you'll generally get better value buying an Olympus. Both cameras are comparable - though I think the Olympus Zuiko lenses are much better constructed - but the K1000 is a pretty popular camera and this has tended to drive prices up. But if you do decide to get a K1000, make sure you get one of the earlier cameras made in Japan, distinguishable by the "asahi" emblem printed on the prism. It's my undestanding that K1000s without the 'asahi' emblem are later models made of plastic and manufactured in China. I'm pretty sure about this, but maybe somebody can correct me if I'm wrong.

I also own a Nikon D70 digital slr, but I'll have to admit that I actually use my OMs much more often. The reason why is that I personally find that being forced to focus manually, and knowing that it actually costs me money (no matter how little) each time I fire the shutter, slows me down and makes me really think about the composition and exposure of each shot. I found that with my D70, I was developing the habit of switching the camera to continuous shutter and then spraying the world with the expectation that I could just come home and crop in photoshop. I'm still a pretty mediocre amateur photographer, but I think I get better images out of my manual cameras.

In short, an old manual SLR is a great camera to learn on and given the fact that you can get one for 100 bucks, you can't go wrong. I would suggest you get an OM or K1000 and save the rest of your money for now.

If you're interested, check out my pbase - most of the black and white shots were taken with either an Olympus OM1 or OM2n.

audible

Post Fri May 06, 2005 4:47 am

Another angle on the starting set up.

Buy a cheap new film slr camera like the eos-300x. Don't bother with the standard lens if you can help it. I "traded" mine up to the 24-85mm f3.5-4.5, a much better lens. Spend the rest of your budget on a 90-300mm usm and a 50mm 1.4 and a good bag and accessories.

This way, you can cut your teeth with the film camera and then one day, upgrade the body to a digital and continue with your existing lens and equipment.

erm, yes im a canon user. If you don't want to stick with canon then simply do the same with a nikon or minolta etc. But do your homework and make sure you have a strong upgrade path available for your selected lens mount system.

If you want to save even more money, check e-bay. Im sure there are a lot of film slr's being sold there!

nobeefmoreef

Post Fri May 06, 2005 5:05 pm

thanks for all the advice!
i like the idea of having good lenses and upgrading to a better film camera in the future.
i already bought a book and I'm learning a little at a time.
thanks again
drew

jim_panzee

Post Sat May 07, 2005 8:27 am

I have had a very good book now for over ten years, although I have been an avid phographer much longer than that. Its a great book not just for beginners but even pros could learn a thing or two from it, the titel: "DK Pocket Encyclopedia of Creative Photography" published by Dorling Kindersley in 1991 (before the digital explosion) so its all about film cameras. I don't know if its still available but you could try.

JimP.
JimP.

ceeswillems

Post Tue May 10, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi Nobeef,

I started about one year ago with photography. After reading a lot on the internet, I decided to buy a digital compact camera (Olympus c5060). At first I was quite pleased, but the slow focusing and other limitations made me buy an SLR. Not digital, but analog, because after some experimenting with a few sixties and seventies cameras that pleased me more. Now, one year later, I mainly use an SLR (Nikon F80 with 50/1.8 and 24/2.8) and a Konica Hexar AF.

My advise for you is to keep your money in your pocket for now. Buy a manual SLR camera (preferable Nikon, Canon, Olympus or the like) and start learning en experimenting. This won't cost you more than a few hundred dollars. A cheap rangefinder to carry anywhere anytime wouldn't be a bad idea either.

You can always go digital in the future.

blaised

Camera

Post Thu May 12, 2005 3:44 am

Any 35mm camera will do. I like the Canon EOS Rebel X. It takes manual and auto focus shots. Taking a picture is not like being a rocket scientist. You like the looks of something, you put it in your viewfinder, and shoot. I would avoid digital for now, unless you buy a nice little $150.00 one to play around with. I've taken some nice shots with my inexpensive digital.
By the way, you can buy an excellent condition Canon EOS Rebel X for around $100.00. No need to spend one-thousand plus.

bobtrips

Post Thu May 12, 2005 3:18 pm

And an opinion from the 'enemy camp'.

My professional background is in learning theory. From many years of research and practice I know that the most important factor in leaning is immediate (or at least timely) feedback.

And my personal (thrifty) traits taught me that lots of us are unlikely to go out and burn a few dozen frames of film 'just practicing'.

Digital gets around both of these obstacles quite nicely.

Get yourself a decent digital that has manual as well as fully automatic modes. Take a look at the Canon 'A' series as a benchmark. The number of megapixels aren't important for the learning process. All you need is enough to fill the monitor. (Anything from one meg up.)

Use the automatic mode at first. Concentrate on composition.

As you shoot you will find that auto isn't good enough in some conditions. Look closely at the 'less than acceptable' images and at their EXIF data. (Another digital advantage.) You will start to understand the limitations of auto mode and when to switch to manual.

And then learn how to use shutter speed and aperture manual control to extend the range of situations in which you can bring home excellent images.

blaised

Camera Buying

Post Fri May 13, 2005 3:31 am

I think digital is overrated at the present time. As I stated before a good $150.00 digital is ALL you need.

As for a film camera (35mm) the Canon EOS Rebel X is an excellent choice. I was not familiar with 35mm SLR's and I already have taken some really nice shots with this camera in Auto Focus mode and Manual Mode.

All of this for $250.00 is very much worth it for a beginner.

Good Luck whatever you decide.

blaised

bobtrips

Re: Camera Buying

Post Fri May 13, 2005 3:05 pm

blaised wrote:I think digital is overrated at the present time. As I stated before a good $150.00 digital is ALL you need.

Well, you're entitled to an opinion. Everyone is.

But mine is 180 degrees from yours. And the market seems to be more in agreement with me. That's why there's no market for used film equipment. Even MF film gear is hard to sell these days.

One could do a very good job learning basic photography with a $150 digital. Especially if you bought used or refurbished.

But also consider the real cost of a film camera. $250 for the camera and $10 (? - use your cost) for each roll of film you burn.

The price difference between the film Rebel and the digital Rebel is 50-60 rolls of film. Shoot the equivalent of a roll a week and the difference is zero.

Save a bundle the next few years.

Next

Board index Equipment Film Cameras Please help! What kind of camera should I buy?